8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So yesterday I decided i would detail my car for the first time (The only nice day in the midwest.. a whopping 60 degrees! :dancing:). I've hand washed it a few times but never actually had the confidence in working with polishes, waxes, etc. The problem is that I only had time to put the first step of meguiars on (after hand wash) which is used to take out light swirls and blemishes. It also say's it preps my paint and clearcoat for the other two steps.. Is it necessary to put those other steps on? I would have earlier today but my cars already pretty dusty and i figured i would just be scratching up the paint with the MF pads.. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Step 1 is cleaner. To "Clean" is different than to "wash" in the detailing world. It removes very very light scratches and removes any previous wax to get it ready for new wax.

Step 2 is the polish. It's not needed. Some say it makes the paint look wetter. This offers no protection

Step 3 is the wax. YES WAX! It protects. Will add some bling too

You only need to do step 1 if you havnt done it in a while. Step 2 is optional. Wax is always needed.

You dont have to use Meg's "3 step" products. They can be substituted. Step 1 cleaner can be replaced with 80, or 83 which also removes scratches. Step 2 can be replaced with #7 (new car shine?). Step 3 can be replaced with any other wax of your choice

·
Registered
519 Posts
You should clay bar your car before step 1.

You did not cause any severe damage yet, just cleaned your paint. Although you can cause some slight damage because your paint has no wax on it.

You should start over and begin with come clay.

When I detail the paint on my car, I use the following products.

Step 1: Meguiar's Direct NXT Generation® Car Wash

Step 2: Meguiar's Direct Smooth Surface® Clay Kit

Step 3: Meguiar's Direct ScratchX® or Meguiar's Direct Deep Crystal® System Paint Cleaner

Step 4: Meguiar's Direct Deep Crystal® System Polish

Step 5: Meguiar's Direct NXT Generation® Tech Wax® 2.0

1 - 5 of 5 Posts