8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Megan Shorty Header + Random Tech Cat (pics & dyno)

The RT cat I got used from a 8th member, the Megan I got from 8th vendor WeSellCarParts. I'm happy with both purchases, as the total was less than a Vibrant header alone. My goal was to get a setup that had some decent gains, was cost effective, and was wife-friendly. (In other words, no crazy weedwacking/car alarm setting off noise.) The intent is to add a WS2 eventually to the mix.

The only part I needed to purchase was a non-fouler, which I got for <$8 from my local parts store. They come in twos, but you only need one.

The culprits:

Stock cat vs. Random Tech cat:

Stock header vs. Megan header:

Megan installed. Getting the original header out was a pain and required loosening up more than I originally figured. The OEM has a big collector that banged on everything on its way out.

The (second) wife on the lift:

The Missus, post-surgery.

So far, my only gripe would be the additional smell from the new header. It's not strong, but it's noticeable as I walk away. But I definitely feel more midrange power on the butt dyno. I have the HFP exhaust, stock mid-pipe and while the sound is more pronounced, it's still much less than an EVO2 or certainly less than a Skunk2. Mission accomplished. Now to get 'er on a dyno...

Edit: dyno completed 7/1

Edit: dyno completed 8-8

For those who want to hear how it sounds (at 1:12):

Jeff "ThaJazz" Dyno Run

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks y'all. I don't have a lift, but I have a good friend who has easy access to a lift, air tools, and various bolts like the ones I needed to connect the mid-pipe to the RT cat. 8th Civic connections ftw!

I dyno'd at 189 whp with Injen CAI, throttle body spacer, coolant bypass, and manifold gasket last year. I'd be interested to see how the numbers improve.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Nice set up very interested in results. Did you happen to notice all the extra metal inside the collector of your new header? You might want to drop you down pipe and get a small grinder in there. Again nice set up.:thumb:

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
F-1, I'm not sure why that pic shows the metal that way. I looked in there many times (before installation when I was imagining the air flow) and didn't see anything. Odd.

I know it's easy to say "my car's faster now!!!" but I have noticed that my usual driving routine has found me having to brake a little harder at the usual route stop signs. Either I'm subconsciously driving faster or the car goes faster with my same level of effort.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
F-1, I'm not sure why that pic shows the metal that way. I looked in there many times (before installation when I was imagining the air flow) and didn't see anything. Odd.

I know it's easy to say "my car's faster now!!!" but I have noticed that my usual driving routine has found me having to brake a little harder at the usual route stop signs. Either I'm subconsciously driving faster or the car goes faster with my same level of effort.
I'm glad to hear that the "butt dyno" is reading more power. I'm kicking around the same combo.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey, haven't dyno'd. I will try within the next month or so when I can attend a dyno meet. I'm at 189 whp before these mods. I definitely feel more mid-range!

1 - 20 of 178 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.