8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Megan "shortie" header review

36K views 161 replies 34 participants last post by  asro 
#1 ·
Hey guys this is my first official post chyeeeaaaa! Lol alrighty so yesterday I finally installed my Megan shortie header. I am a big fan of Megan since there products in my opinion are at an affordable price and perform well.

Product: megans shortie header is a 4-1 the runners on the manifold are a little bigger than that of the stock runners on the manifold. The stainless steel look gives it a nice finish and cost $149.00 at corsport.

Install: anyone who has installed headers know it's a pain. There was only one issue I ran into when installing them, the driver side bolt on the header would not thread through, anyone who's worked and installed after market headers know that it is a common problem besides that it was good to go.

Review!: presently the set up on my car is as follows: injen short ram, p2r TBS 2gaskets, Megan shorties, skunk 2 mega power exhaust, megan lowering springs, stock A-pipe and cat. The headers really blew me away, I have a very aggressive sound, the motor over powers the exhaust and all I can hear is a vtec roar! The headers definetely open the motor up more, and allow the vtec to really shine, the gains were extremley noticable for me the combo I have worked out perfectly :). There is no ricey sound at all a nice deep roar that screams once the vtec hits. I highly recommend these headers to anybody who is uprgrading on a budget. I will try to upload a video if possible :). Enjoy

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
nope i left it off, wen bolting it in, i hand tighten all of them just to secure the header, then wen i went to put the driver side bolt in, it wouldnt go through, i really didnt have time to mess with it i had work about 30 mins later, but long story short couldnt get it throught said screw it, contiued with the install torqued down the rest started her up, and check for leaks from the headers, and there were none :), not even the slightest, but ima get bak to it later and try to get it in jsut cuz lol..

UPDATE: I got bored an threaded in the last bolt, just had to loosen the rest up, and wiggle the headers until threaded into place :)

#11 ·
yea man, im telling u for the price, the gains are excellent :). screw paying up the ass for dc, or skunk 2 in my opinion it doesnt matter, skunk 2 and dc always go and say their gains are this and this but fail to mention to anyone that they ran it with their set up. and who knows wat they could have lol. hope you enjoy it as much as i do :)

#10 ·
yea man im still running stock downpipe and cat, im not looking to go force induction at all, so having that big of piping all the way down would be useless to me. Also im leaving some room so that air somewhenre to be compressed throught the piping to create pulses or veolicity anyways. If you want to run the invidia Q300 catback i say go for it! my car with the stock cat and downpipe, make a great combo with the headers and my skunk 2 exhaust system, i left the silencer in cause im not that much into annyoing loudness, but it sounds nice and deep at low rpms, and when u get higher he he :vtec:! lol. but my advice is keep the silencer in if it comes with one run the car and see how you like the sound, if u dont just pop the bad boy out. best of luck :)

#22 ·
lol yes i have, but gains were the same when not tuned, im not into name brand i.e. DC, SKUNK, VIBRANT, i go off what i can afford, the gains are the same when just bolted on without tune, and a tuned head. Im gettin this tuned with flash pro next month and will post results, Im also upgrading my intake manifold to an RRC and gonna get Skunk2 Stage 1 cams, so we'll see how it compares to others :)

#32 · (Edited)
Here is us installing the header. We ended up wrapping it in heat wrap because we had some extra time.

First start... mind you its cold and in the garage so there is some echo going on.

Here is a video of the first hard pull. My buddy was trying to film and hold the laptop, in 3rd gear the laptop closes and cuts the connection with FP. haha

#34 ·
Here is us installing the header. We ended up wrapping it in heat wrap because we had some extra time.

First start... mind you its cold and in the garage so there is some echo going on.

movie

Here is a video of the first hard pull. My buddy was trying to film and hold the laptop, in 3rd gear the laptop closes and cuts the connection with FP. haha

movie
wat do you think man? you likey :D.. lol i love mine.

#33 · (Edited)
Nice!, it's good to see people who get products for a great price and enjoy them and don't let the haters get them down. People who spend a sh!t load of money on mods will always hate on people who get satisfying results from lower costing products. You might not be getting double digit gains from these but who cares! you only spent $150 and ur happy :thumbsup: You have me interested in these now, especially since I live in CA and I don't want to risk the "no cat" ticket you can get for race headers.

#35 ·
actually... i REALLY like it. When paired with FP and wrapped the gains really are close to negligible to what gains I had with the buddyclub.

It was kinda a PITA to install. I found the that flange on the downpipe was way too thick and we spent about 2 hours trying to compress the exhaust springs enough to mate the DP with the header, but after that we were good to go.

I am really happy with it so far :thumb:

#42 ·
So without the HFC and the shorty header ONLY...I think I remember seeing gains of like 3whp and 2tq somewhere....can anyone confirm this? I know there are like 12 threads about it, but none has a definitive answer, and everything seems to be used with a hfc/test pipe. The bends on the shorty just looks so much smoother, I find it hard to beleive there wouldnt be some gain.

#45 ·
with the shorty alone, it cant be much more than 3-5 hp. The cat is the most restrictive part of the exhaust. If you replace the cat as well, you will receive gains btw 7-9 if you pair it flashpro with you will get anywhere between 8-12 hp gain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.