8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So...next year I'm planning on (or at least thinking about) trading my 2007 Civic EX in for a 2008 Mazdaspeed 3. Lately though, I've been thinking about the new 2008 WRX (4-door). I'm already sold on the looks of the Mazdaspeed 3-I think it looks very very sexy, and I know about the engine mount problem, which is already fixed, and I know about reliability, etc., but what do you guys think of the WRX?
It costs about the same as the MS3 GT which is what I plan on getting, but I don't know how the two compare on the track.

I was looking at the WRX on the Subaru website and the stock sound system is quite terrible. If I got that, I would have to do an upgrade. But if I got the MS3 GT, it would come with an excellent Bose sound system, which I've heard in my friends regular Mazda 3 and it sounds amazing.

Your thoughts and input are appreciated.

Oh, and also: I have absolutely NO DESIRE to get an Si...so don't even suggest that or bring that into the picture.

EDIT: Also, does anyone know how much of an insurance difference there is between these 2 cars? And what kind of jump can I expect from my 2007 Civic EX MT? I'm 18 years old, have had my license for 2 and a half years, no tickets whatsoever...good grades discount, etc. Supposedly my insurance goes down when I turn 19 or 3 years of driving, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
hmm last i read the MS3 beat the last generation WRX but i dont know about this new one. I dont really like the looks of either car. But i personally would go with WRX because of AWD and i trust subaru's reliability more than mazda.

Good luck choosing and remember to post pics when you get it!

·
Registered
723 Posts
i work for mazda. the speed3 looks way better than the new wrx. one of the major cons of the speed3 is torque steer due to the lack of awd. the engine mount was recalled so im sure the 08's wont have the same problem. they MIGHT have an issue with the rear stabilizer links. ive seen two speed3's where the links come loose.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Civic Si.

/sarcasm.

I'd go with the MS3 over the WRX for the reasons you stated. Looks like AWD doens't matter much to you, and you're already set on it, so it's not a bad deal for you to get it. Seems you'll have less buyer's remorse getting the MS3, so you'll be happier with that in the long run.

·
Registered
723 Posts
i say ms3 as well. it was between the si and the ms3 for me. the logical choice woulda been the mazda cuz i work for mazda but im a honda guy at heart

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
KingMarineM16a4 said:
New cobalt will be direct competition for the MS3. EVO, STi, 350z are in a different class which the EVO owns...
Actually I think the new STi owns that class, the 2008 STi is going to be throwing down ~320hp up from 293hp last year. It's supposed to get faster 0-60 times than the old STi's, better handling, etc., than before. The EVO X has approximately the same specs., so it's basically a drivers' race.

But back to the main point...

1 - 20 of 116 Posts