8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been talking to this guys that make custom turbos and stuff like that, i ask them if they could make a turbo kit for the R18 and this is what they send me.

We looked at a new civic (R18) today. We will be out of the city for about 5 days, but we are thinking seriously about it. We will let you know. How many people are actually interested? We are right in the middle of a special turbo project. It is our goal to seriously change the way high HP cars make their power. Our present project is a twin turbo Ford 2.3 OHC (T-Bird). We are shooting for 500+ HP. But we are attempting to configure the setup to provide the HP at true street RPM's (3000-5000). We are having a custom cam made for it that will behave very much like a gentle street cam until it receives boost in the double digit range. So you can see, we have our hands full. But we are interested. We look forward to hearing from you concerning the actual interest. Thanks for your contin! ued commmunication.

So like you guys can see, they might be making a turbo kit for the R18, i already send them a link of the poll that was done here, of if you will buy a turbo for the R18, i told him all we R18 owners are looking for is a nice reliable kit that will make some nice numbers.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
i don't think anyone said that. honda puts alot of time and engineering in all of there engines. not just there high performance ones like the k20. just because the r18 is there low performance economy engine doesnt mean its not rock solid. but without tunning. everything is an " egg " after a certain point.

·
Registered
615 Posts
i don't think anyone said that. honda puts alot of time and engineering in all of there engines. not just there high performance ones like the k20. just because the r18 is there low performance economy engine doesnt mean its not rock solid. but without tunning. everything is an " egg " after a certain point.
if i told you the r18 has a stronger block than the k20 what would u say?

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
cool?
i could care less. i never said the r18 was weak lol. i dont know where u keep getting that from. all i said was honda puts just as much time making the r18 bullet proof as the k20. i was aggreeing with you genious.
both will blow up without tunning. the only problem with this thread is no ones even trying to make tunning for the r18 so you may be waiting a longer time for a "safe" boost option.
just because the r18 is a low performance engine compared to the k20 doesnt mean its any less durable.
there both plenty strong 4 cylinders. but the majority of the market is for the k20 so your tunning options will be delayed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Old T-birds are not that much akin to Civics, or anything else that's OBDII for that matter. It was my understanding that the engine electronics were completely different back then with far fewer variables to control. Still, it can't be that difficult to tune newer cars because there are so many that are boosted and tuned. It's about time someone steps up to the plate and makes something for the R18 Civics.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They send me an email last night saying they have started the project and are already building the turbo manifold for our cars!

I will see how things go and i will keep you guys updated and will post some pictures as soon as the kit is done.

We should be able to tune the cpu with the greddy e-manage or the aem fic. until something better comes out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.