8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let’s talk about MaXpeedingRods Coilovers. Upon their arrival, the coilovers were boxed in a clean, protective fashion. They looked awesome, and felt well built. During installation, the 8th generation Civic Si aided me with its ease of access to the front struts. I believe the front coilovers had been preloaded before shipment. Installation was no different than other brands, so I`ll leave that out. After the install, I was eager to test the new suspension. With the ride height only an inch lower than stock, and the adjustment knobs set fully stiff, I was off. Starting down the road, I hit the same few bumps that I would any other day. The coilovers felt strong and confident. I was pleasantly surprised at this; seeing how they go for no more than $400. I was expecting to feel like a shopping cart. Now, of course, it was no Rolls. But that isn’t the goal, and it isn’t a shopping cart. I drove around for a few days, hearing no noises and feeling no abnormalities. I ripped around corners like Ken Miles and cruised around them like my Grandmother. It felt amazing. After the fifth day of driving my normal routes, I began to hear a popping sound coming from the upper portion of the front coilovers. As if a small rock was hitting the upper strut mount. Enough to worry me, but not enough for me to check until I reached home. This sound would only occur during low speed turning or weight changes. Never at a speed above 15mph did I hear a peep. At first, I suspected coil binding. I got home and lifted the car off the ground. After pulling the wheels off and doing a bit of research, I learned that the pillowball upper mounting plate could use a greasing. Since I was hearing the slight pop on both sides, I decided to grease one pillowball mount more than the other. After two days of driving, I no longer hear the popping on the side that I greased well. This popping never changed the performance or the feel of the coilovers. But luckily, there seems to be a quick and easy fix to the issue. I plan to address the side that still slightly pops; It’s more of an annoyance than a functionality concern. I feel as though this very minor “defect” can be prevented without issue. It’s something that I would overlook, prevent, and go on to enjoy my coilovers. So I did. My little FA5 handles like a go kart, and I do not have even the slightest regret with my choice. After my experience with MXR, I recommend the product stated above. These coilovers look great, and feel even better. For the price, I wouldn't choose another brand.
MXR front FA5.jpg
MXR rear FA5.jpg
Lowered2 FA5.jpg
Lowered1 FA5.jpg

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'm jealous that you have an 06-08 style Si Sedan with the Galaxy Grey Metallic paint job :(

I want to have the same look on my 06 EX Sedan like yours but not trying to pose as an Si. This is what I want mine to look like, I planned it a month or so ago:

I would buy an Si outright like this but I don't have Si money as a college student. Man your car looks nice! I bet on coilovers it's a dream to drive on smooth corners. My car is very floppy with all 4 worn out shocks and stock ride height lol. My car will recieve all Eibach lowering springs along with the KYB shocks as a pair.

I see that your car is polished.... the paint condition looks exactly like mine!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm jealous that you have an 06-08 style Si Sedan with the Galaxy Grey Metallic paint job :(

I want to have the same look on my 06 EX Sedan like yours but not trying to pose as an Si. This is what I want mine to look like, I planned it a month or so ago:
View attachment 244437
I would buy an Si outright like this but I don't have Si money as a college student. Man your car looks nice! I bet on coilovers it's a dream to drive on smooth corners. My car is very floppy with all 4 worn out shocks and stock ride height lol. My car will recieve all Eibach lowering springs along with the KYB shocks as a pair.

I see that your car is polished.... the paint condition looks exactly like mine!
I think it will look sick brother! Build your car how you want to man. Don’t worry about what other people think... as long as you don’t stick Si badges on it lol! Not many people like the Galaxy Grey but I think our paint held up much better than most 8th gens that don’t have the Galaxy Grey paint. Let me know what you do about that roof rack. I’ve been looking around and I’m thinking about a cargo box because I’ll be traveling soon. Also, I might be selling my spoiler soon because I really want a Mugen Rep wing. Your car is looking good brother! Keep wrenching

·
Registered
521 Posts
I think it will look sick brother! Build your car how you want to man. Don’t worry about what other people think... as long as you don’t stick Si badges on it lol! Not many people like the Galaxy Grey but I think our paint held up much better than most 8th gens that don’t have the Galaxy Grey paint. Let me know what you do about that roof rack. I’ve been looking around and I’m thinking about a cargo box because I’ll be traveling soon. Also, I might be selling my spoiler soon because I really want a Mugen Rep wing. Your car is looking good brother! Keep wrenching
Thanks man! I personally love the galaxy grey on our cars and it really does look unique compared to the other colors but thats on me and my taste. I would never put Si badges on an EX - i'm a real car guy lol but I don't race my EX on the streets. I think I will go for the Thule rack but it's on the pricey side so i'm not really sure if I want to pull the trigger on it yet. I do plan to mount my road bikes on it so it will work as a useful/style rack. I'm really doing just the 3 mods (which is OEM Si wheels, tint, and lowering springs) for mainly handling and looks purposes. I think the mugen wing would look great on the car!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wrote this up for whoever it may help. The instruction is pretty basic; especially in the front. Secondly, I wanted to share the popping issue that I mentioned in the review and how I dealt with it.

Initially, the coil-overs’ impression was awesome. I wouldn’t necessarily say that this small issue changed that. Their functionality didn’t change a bit; it was more of an inconvenience. After a bit of research, I tried what seemed to be the best remedy. I took the front coil-overs back out, and grabbed some synthetic grease that I had sitting in the garage. The upper mounting plate, or the pillow ball mount, was very stubborn and tight. After working the upper plate around to gain access to the pillow-ball, I used a q-tip to apply the grease. Right away, by hand, I noticed a difference in mobility. Since then, two weeks ago, I haven’t heard the popping. The suspension feels great. Next, I’ll be picking up a set of rear camber arms. Until then, I’m not going to go much lower than 1.5 inches from stock. Hope this helps if anyone may need it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts