8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this may not be the right place to post, or it may have even been covered already but I have a dilemma.:facepalm:

I recently bought my 07 FA5 with 97k miles for a great deal, from a Nissan dealership. I'm the 2nd owner and the car was well taken care of. Paint issues were addressed by the previous owner, and everything was stock.

My issue is this, I was given only one key. The gray valet key which doesn't work the trunk. I imagine the dealership never acquired it from the 1st owner. Whatever, its not that big a deal, but I love first world problems, so I want to get a new master. It doesn't matter if its an offbrand make (Offbrand doesn't always mean poor quality), but I would get a quality one that has the right features. I can research what kind of key and immobilizer my SI needs. That's not the problem, but I have heard good and bad stories about key programming.

I know it can be done, but I guess my question is how easily?
Is it a dealership experience in which I'm raped of my dollars, or can I take it to a good key shop and find that its a common procedure?

I love this little car, its my first Honda and it has been a blast. Having the key fob that actually works the cars features would make it that much better. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone else had to go through the process of getting a new key and what did it take?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I work for Honda as a tech, and I'm almost 99% sure you can get a master cut from the key you have. Will it be an expensive key? Yes. But master keys are worth it.

When I go back to work I will double check for you.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I know it can be done, but I guess my question is how easily?
Is it a dealership experience in which I'm raped of my dollars, or can I take it to a good key shop and find that its a common procedure?

I love this little car, its my first Honda and it has been a blast. Having the key fob that actually works the cars features would make it that much better. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone else had to go through the process of getting a new key and what did it take?
The car needs to be programmed to recognize your new key(s), which requires hooking up to HDS (Honda Diagnostic System). You might be able to find a garage or locksmith with an HDS setup, but otherwise you're pretty much looking a dealership visit.

When I had new keys made, the dealership said it's one charge to hook up the HDS, regardless of how many keys you program. So if you anticipate any need for extra keys in the future, you'll want to make them all at the same time. I get the impression that the dealership didn't necessarily have a set price for the procedure - I was quoted two different prices by two different people at the same dealership. They honoured the lower price when I pointed it out, so I suspect the price is entirely up to the service writer. It might be worth haggling over the price, and maybe do the keys the same time as some other service to give you more leverage for negotiating.

I actually keep in my pocket a DX style master key (just like the valet key, but black and not the valet cut), along with the typical remote key but with its key portion broken off which I use as a remote fob. The DX key is shorter and is both more comfortable in the pocket, but also puts less wear on the ignition lock.

Lastly, I think Honda's implementation of Master/Sub(valet) is flawed. So far as I can tell, the difference between the two, is that the Master has a _deeper_ cut in the M/S position. This means in theory, you could make a Master out of a Valet by cutting that position (second one in from the tip, on the top of the key with the tip facing right). Fortunately, in practice, it's not as trivial to make that cut as with a traditional key, and if you had a mill to do it with, you could very well cut a new key too.
Then again, that's assuming you're trying to do a proper cut, preserving the web between sides of the key. If you're willing to sacrifice the web, then I think you really can make the deeper cut with a simple needle file.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"I actually keep in my pocket a DX style master key (just like the valet key, but black and not the valet cut), along with the typical remote key but with its key portion broken off which I use as a remote fob. The DX key is shorter and is both more comfortable in the pocket, but also puts less wear on the ignition lock."

That was all some very good info, and answered alot of my questions at once! But this stuck out the most to me, I may just take this idea as well!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Luns, you definitely have the right idea for the individual key fob. I tell customers that all the time at our dealership. These keys constantly break over time. Another bit of information that may be useful. The blade is connected to the front portion of the key. The immobilizer chip is located inside the remote portion.

If the blade breaks off, essentially you only need the front portion of the key. It can be purchased separately from the parts department, and to get it cut should only require proof of ownership of the vehicle, driver's license and registration. Simply swap out the front cover and bam, no reprogramming needed!

Part numbers are as follows:
35113-SVA-305 for LX models
35113-SVA-306 for EX and above

·
Registered
412 Posts
If the blade breaks off, essentially you only need the front portion of the key. It can be purchased separately from the parts department, and to get it cut should only require proof of ownership of the vehicle, driver's license and registration. Simply swap out the front cover and bam, no reprogramming needed!

Difference between these two being the -305 part is a 3 button remote, while the -306 is a 4 button (adding the trunk).

For anybody in the position of needing a new 4 button front portion, the same part is used for 2012-2013 Civics as well. The entire key for those years costs only a dollar or two more than the front portion alone. For the extra two bucks, you get a fresh back cover for the key (albeit with the wrong FCC ID printed on it, but nobody's going to care) and a new remote module.

Part # 35118-TR0-A00

I don't know if an 8th gen Civic can be programmed to listen to a 9th gen remote. I think the Valet key remained the same, which suggests some level of compatibility, but I think the 8th gen key is technically a type 6, while 9th gen used type 7 (earlier keys that looked identical outside, but had separate remote/transponders were type 5).

But even if the electronics are not compatible (or even if they are and you don't want to pay for programming) the new remote also contains a new battery as well as fresh buttons. You can swap the circuit boards between your old and new modules (and ideally swap the remotes' back covers too so the back labels follow the boards they're for) so your existing remote gets brand new buttons to go along with the new front and back key parts. The new buttons resist wear much better than the old ones did. See: http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/inside-out/603506-ignition-key-refresh.html

·
Registered
35 Posts
Luns, you definitely have the right idea for the individual key fob. I tell customers that all the time at our dealership. These keys constantly break over time. Another bit of information that may be useful. The blade is connected to the front portion of the key. The immobilizer chip is located inside the remote portion.

How much do the ex ones run?

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Our dealer can copy a sidewinder key from another one.

Nice to hear someone besides dealer can link them to the car.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Good info there, thank you. I was only given one key with the recent purchase of my CSX.
I have had the same thing happen to me too. I went and had a second key made I get my internals for my key through amazon. If you cant find it there find the key part number online or through Autozone and make the purchase online.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have had the same thing happen to me too. I went and had a second key made I get my internals for my key through amazon. If you cant find it there find the key part number online or through Autozone and make the purchase online.

Thanks for the heads up, I was planning on looking online first, I just didn't know where to go.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts