8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i was walking through the shop today and decided to snap a picture of one of the turbos that we deal with on a daily basis. it pushed 60psi and upto 500hp at 2500ft-lb torque...

now its a smaller version on what goes on out volvo 16l motor, but looks identical. its water cooled and VG, so there is ZERO lag... the trucking industry has had VGT's for the last 20 years and i think they are the coolest things ever...

right now there is a recall going around for the VGT's where the turbo vains stick not actuating. making the surbo fail and throw coads so we are doing them on a weekly basis...

whos going to miss one little turbo missing.... :D........ but the one for the 16l weighs 100-150lb and needs a eng. hoist to install...

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
Bolt that up to a turbo diesel truck, get a boost controller.. That'll be a quick SOB. :lildevil:

·
Registered
213 Posts
They have diesel truck drags down at a drag strip by my house, it is awesome. These trucks come out with huge twin turbo kits and they have that awesome semi truck exhaust with the 6" pipes pointing up towards the sky right behind the cab. One of the best drag events ive ever seen.

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a bone stock volvo with one of the 16L's in it dose some mean burnouts, we took one for a spin... plugged up the laptop turned the traction and torque limmiters off, the yaw and roll sensors off and turned it up to WOT and let her rip... beat the doors off my car, and this is a fully automatic scnchromeshed tranny transport truck...

i thought of taking one of the turbos off of a smaller 6L and putting a smaller snailshell on it so i could spin it up, the boost that would make would blow my intake off... but then i would have to get rid of my race headers and thats too much of a hastle... that and i like my motor in one piece...

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
What do you drive again? I mean, I know this is 8thcivic and all.. but it would be automotive suicide to try to bolt one of those up to any honda (car) ever made.

Man.. I'm serious, I really want a turbo diesel with a slug half the size of that one.. That should still be good for 200 psi, lol.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I used to work for EMD/GM.. making locomotives.. the EMD 710 motor made 4300HP and you could sleep in one of the 2 turbos of the V16 motor.. it ran 66PSI and would pull a mile long train 70mph...crazy....

·
Banned
1,722 Posts
i've seen bigger ones on supras :) lol

·
Registered
162 Posts
500 hp and 2500 TQ? That is about as opposing of the honda theme as you can get. That truck would do a 26 second 0 to 60 unloaded downhill and
a 26 second 0 to 60 with 15000 pounds of payload going uphill. All with
a 28 speed tranny and a 1500 rpm redline with 22 to one compresion.

WOW!

A whole different type of high performance.

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
when we tested it it was more like this...
625 hp and 2500 TQ? That is about as opposing of the honda theme as you can get. That truck would do a 18-20 second 0 to 60 unloaded downhill and
a ??? second 0 to 60 with 15000 pounds of payload going uphill. All with
a 18 speed tranny and a 1500 rpm redline with 16 to one compresion.

WOW!

A whole different type of high performance.
^^^ its the most there is right now, and its a 18speed tranny, fully (synchronized)auto takes 0.5-1.5 to switch gears. limits torque and wheel spin for the quickest take off posable. senses load, road grade and air humidity and adjusts everything to compensate... skips many gears at a time and it dose yaw(roll sensor, but not on take off) i raced my car against it Honda civic si and i bairly won(like 3 truck lengths off)... they can haull up hill at 120mph with up to 100tons...passing!!!

Literly the strongest most powerfull bone stock engine there is in trucks... not to mention most advanced electronics and best fuel economy and when i say best i mean 7 up to 8MPG WOW!!!, most EGR'd trucks run 5-6 and thats only a 12L, this this is 16L... gets even better if you put a hydrogen generator on it and "super singals with lightened drums" they shave about 120-150lb per axle.

the problem is that the 625hp engines arnt avalable anymore(only under sp.request) because they where breaking camshafts and turbos, there are factory limited to 600hp and 2050lb torque...

volvos solution was to swap whole engins... now the only problem is the EGR's and particulate filters... and when they fail the truck spiews flames 10-15' in the air melting the trailer and overpasses...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts