8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ey guys,
should I get EX coupe manual or automatic?
I heard that the manual trans have some
problems with it..:confused:

finding the right spot for the clutch or something?
Is it really that hard...since this is my first manual car..

thanks

·
Registered
236 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, when I test drove it had no issues. Honda clutches are like butta and have a wide friction point! You should learn on a friends car before you pick up your new Honda maybe. Why fry your clutch? j/k

·
Banned
325 Posts
Just be AWARE:

The cruising RPM for the manual at 70 mph is around 3200
The cruising ROM for the Auto at 70 mph is around 2400

Big difference, if you like the low revs and less engine noise get the auto, if you dont mind, and enjoy a standard, get the stick

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
06Ex said:
Just be AWARE:

The cruising RPM for the manual at 70 mph is around 3200
The cruising ROM for the Auto at 70 mph is around 2400

Big difference, if you like the low revs and less engine noise get the auto, if you dont mind, and enjoy a standard, get the stick

isn't it suppose to be the other way?

RPM for manual suppose to be lower than RPM for the auto?
because you could control wheter you want to shift or not to shift.
how about the "overdrive" technology?
sorry, i'm new to manual trans..

·
Registered
98 Posts
mobius1civ said:
isn't it suppose to be the other way?

RPM for manual suppose to be lower than RPM for the auto?
because you could control wheter you want to shift or not to shift.
how about the "overdrive" technology?
sorry, i'm new to manual trans..
It can be anyway they like... Final speed depends on what ratios/final drive(s) are in the trans and isn't dependent on auto or stick. Overdrive simply means that the overall ratio is greater than 1.0. My TDIs had two overdrive gears but they had the torque to work it.

I would pick whatever trans you want... I had some sticks which are fun and sporty. The auto serves me well with the crap traffic I deal with everyday. It's a highly personal decision. Don't be afraid to learn stick on a new car... Just don't go overboard with the speed racer training for a while.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
i think it wouldnt be difficult for you
i learn in my 2006 ex... the first day was all on freeway.... then it takes me 2 days more for city.... and by the 5th day.. i can drive in every condition...
after 3 weeks... i think im at 90% sometimes it turns off in the hills lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
el_ben2 said:
i think it wouldnt be difficult for you
i learn in my 2006 ex... the first day was all on freeway.... then it takes me 2 days more for city.... and by the 5th day.. i can drive in every condition...
after 3 weeks... i think im at 90% sometimes it turns off in the hills lol

wow...3 weeks? is it that hard to master the stick? :confused:

damn civic..you made me want to drive manual now.

how is it turns off in the hills? you just press the clutch in while releasing
the right foot from the gas right?
were you having a hard time to find the right "spots" to shift on the EX?

·
Registered
96 Posts
With manual, the hardest part is starting off in 1st. 2-5 are cake. My opinion, just go to an empty parking lot and practice starting off in 1st (without stalling). Also, 3 weeks is definitly long enough...you could be good to go in a week IMO, just dont get cocky and try to shift like a racecar driver or you'll most likely grind the gears (because as a noob, you might be a half second off when shifting). I have a 5pd right now, but am getting a Auto when it comes in also because of traffic.. If you driving in stop-n-go traffic, you will get frustrated.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I learned stick in about 3/4 days. I learned on a 2001 Chevy Cavalier and I can tell you the Civic 5spd is MUCH easier to drive. You'll learn much easier with the Civic. Its smoother and physically easier to switch between shifts. Its hard for a newbie like myself to get up a hill in stick. You have to apply gas and clutch just enought for a quick launch so you dont roll back into the other car.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i learn how to drive a stick in 2 hours, in my appartment complex parking lot, in a 2000 Celica GT-S.
like they said the hardest thing is first to second, after that is cake. practise that, also praction on a hill were there is no cars, that way u wont stall or burn clutch wen you have cars behind you, practise guys is all it takes.

·
STIG: a tamed race driver
1,630 Posts
youngxlos said:
i learn how to drive a stick in 2 hours, in my appartment complex parking lot, in a 2000 Celica GT-S.
like they said the hardest thing is first to second, after that is cake. practise that, also praction on a hill were there is no cars, that way u wont stall or burn clutch wen you have cars behind you, practise guys is all it takes.

Yeah I learned to drive in almost every situation before the end of the first day. The key is to get to know where the gears are without having to look down before you even start the car. Some people take longer than others I guess...

About the auto versus manual at different RPMs; yes the auto has a lower RPM at crousing speeds, why is this out of the norm, because the auto has 5 gears too. Most autos only have 4, so they have to have a higher RPM at 60 or 70, but with 5 gears in both transmissions they can place the RPM's anywhere by selecting different fianl drive ratios. You will notice that the auto gets 40MPG highway where as the manual only gets 38 MPG highway.

As for your decision, look at what kind of driving you do, if you like to zip in out of place and have a quick little car with good pickup, get the manual. IF you just want a car that you can cruise around in and relax in, get the auto. Personally I would never pay extra money for an auto, but since my fiance can't drive manual, I had to dish out the $$$$ for the auto on the new civic (she drives it mostly).

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
yeah... i mean 3 weeks for a non problem drive in traffic, hills (a lil), lights and normal drive...
for a non to traffic drive in 2 days u will go

or do what i do when i drove in a friends car... look his foots... the moving and u will have an idea, of curse its more simply when you are driving...

i drive like 50 km from my house to my school... and have to cross 3 cities of the metropolitan area.... and by the downtown... so at 6am-8am i got there in 10 minutes... but at 2pm-7pm it takes me an hour... so take an idea of how i was the first week i got my car and go to school whit it....

·
Registered
108 Posts
It is personal preference really, but to me a manual just seems so much more connected to the car and more fun to drive. I learned to drive stick when i was 16 and have not owned an automatic car since.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Stick really isn't that hard to pick up. My father taught me on a dump truck so cars were easy after that. You can learn it in a day no problem but it'll probably take you a week or two to master all the little things for a manual. I've had my Civic for a week now and I'm still stalling at stop lights every now and then because the clutch is a lot different than my previous car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I used to drive a 89 Chevrolet Pickup Truck, with a long shift stick.. This thing was like 4 feet long. After learning to drive that thing, I can drive anything.

The shifting in the civic is nice and clean. I have no complaints about the clutch whatsoever.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you want a smooth shifting tranny, go test drive a Tiburon. My god the thing is like silk. If a smooth shift could ever give someone an orgasm that would be the car for them.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Learned on stick when I was 16. Took me 5 min in a parking lot to learn it, then about a month to perfect it. After you learn it, it becomes second nature and you just 'know' when and to what gear to shift... you don't even have to conciously think about it. And once you learn it, you never forget it, just like riding a bike.

I've been driving an automatic for a few years now and really really miss stick. I agree with the other comment, I just get such a feeling of control over the car... plus it's just so damn fun to flick that shifter around!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts