8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people!!!

Got an 07 manual two weeks ago. Its gotten down to the mid 40s nightly too

Its become much harder to shift into gears lately. Even when its been driven and warmed up both engine and tranny

???

·
Registered
77 Posts
I noticed the same problem and recently posted a similar issue on this forum. I took my car to my dealer two times, describing pretty much the same issue and both times they reported back that they couldn't come up with a similar issue and their opinion was the car is in normal running condition.
The only thing I have changed to alleviate/fix this issue is starting the car up and waiting about 5 minutes or so. letting the car warm up. <when the heat starts warming up the interior, you should be good to go.>
Since then, my experiences with the difficult shifting have dramatically dropped and the car is running normal.
Honda is using a thicker transmission fluid for the Si transmission and thats the real reason our cars are bucking and not shifting correctly in the cold weather.
My previous car was a 2005 Acura RSX type S and I never had any problems with it in the cold weather, so i don't know why Honda would change with the Si.

·
Registered
77 Posts
No. I requested that my dealer swap out the mtf with a winter blend that is thinner but they flat out said NO and refused to do that or listen to my request.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
i havent gotten a third gear grind for about a month now. Even in this cold weather the shifter smoothly goes into place. i salute the car dude who assembled my transmission.

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
No. I requested that my dealer swap out the mtf with a winter blend that is thinner but they flat out said NO and refused to do that or listen to my request.
Is it possible you can speak with the service manager directly, or have you already done that? Try another dealership? Possibly a do-it-yourself, if possible.

i havent gotten a third gear grind for about a month now. Even in this cold weather the shifter smoothly goes into place. i salute the car dude who assembled my transmission.

You're lucky! Your one salute is a rare case. Most people on this site would give them the one finger salute. ;)

·
Premium Member
37,357 Posts
Fire your dealership.

I had one dealership say "It's not neccesary and nowhere near the time or mileage to do it." I told them, "No it's not the mileage or time but the third gear grinding says it is neccessary. I'm paying you to do it so do it please."

Fixed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I might go to another dealership to see if they can look into it more. When I asked the service mgr and he said no. I told him, i've been driving for 20 years now and the last 10 years I have owned 4 Honda vehicles, all manually transmission cars ( a 98 Integra GSR, a 98 Prelude and an 05 RSX Type S ) and none have ever experienced what the 07 Si's transmission does. His response was he's been a Honda service tech mgr for 20 years and has never heard of this particular transmission problem. a stalemate if you will.
But when I had my Acura, Acura Corporate always would do a follow up call to inquire about how satisfied I was with my most recent service. If you are unhappy, they look into it.
So when Honda Corporate contacts me I'll be giving my dealer a big F in the customer happiness category.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I thought the 2007 Honda Civic Si coupe was all but the next generation of the 2005/2006 Acura RSX Type S. Since the engine is basically a next gen version, I thought that the transmissions were identical but I guess I was wrong.
You'd think we all wouldn't be having this issue? Honda....Honda...Honda....Love my Honda but mighty Toyota looks good when this sorta thing happens don't it?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
like i said, mine becomes fine with about 15min of driving. it never grinds anyways.

sounds like they use a thicker oem tranny fluid, so its really no issue here, just kinda annoying

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
Honda....Honda...Honda....Love my Honda but mighty Toyota looks good when this sorta thing happens don't it?
I'm not sure what you mean by the Toyota comment. They're also having their fair share of problems too. My friend works at a Toyota dealership and there's a long list of problems with their vehicles. If a dealership is refusing to swap out your fluid, then that isn't Honda's fault.

I have noticed very recently that the car's ability to shift into gears (note all gears) smoothly has been reduced with this cold weather. I'll be swapping out my Amsoil for the OEM Honda MTF on Tuesday. I think it's probably best to be doing the MTF swap every or every other oil change.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts