8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
i know what you mean. you take off from a light and you have to sink in your foot to not be a "slow driver" or keep up with the cars next to you... but i got over that quick, i just take it easy and work on mileage it doesnt matter how fast im going in relation to other cars...

something that really bugs me is all the noise we make at 3-5ish k rpm and the very little speed it gets us, like when you got to pass someone and you down shift one gear and floor it making a lot of noise and going nowhere, really makes me want to get the reflash.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I love 3rd gear... nothing like getting on the highway coming home from work. Gotta go around a little bit of a bend and then it's a straight away. God once I hit the straight away I just punch it and it seems like I fly.

I'm surprised at the pull from 5th gear also... me and my friend were on the highway and he has a later 90's model Blazer and we were messing around and he tried racing me and I was cruising in 5th and just punched it and still took him. I told him I was in 5th the whole time and he got upset lol.

·
Banned
1,466 Posts
i dont get it. do you guys not know how to drive? 1st year is actually al ot of fun and i can pull on a lot of cars with 1st. are you guys afraid to rev a little high? if you're taking off like a granny and shifting to 2nd at 3k rpm...of course you're not going to get anywhere. :wavey:

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
I'm surprised at the bull from 5th gear also... me and my friend were on the highway and he has a later 90's model Blazer and we were messing around and he tried racing me and I was cruising in 5th and just punched it and still took him. I told him I was in 5th the whole time and he got upset lol.
:( i did the same type of thing with my friend in his chipped Audi S4.. needless to say he started to pull on me in 6th gear :pat:

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
i dont get it. do you guys not know how to drive? 1st year is actually al ot of fun and i can pull on a lot of cars with 1st. are you guys afraid to rev a little high? if you're taking off like a granny and shifting to 2nd at 3k rpm...of course you're not going to get anywhere. :wavey:
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
instead if saying 2k 3k...and calling us pussies...it would be helpful if u tell us how much u rev ur engine to

5 to 6 k...our car sounds like its trying to race/pick a fight with the STi/tC/corolla/350z beside us.....and hence most of em think wer racing them ?

·
Registered
522 Posts
jeez guys i know how to drive and i'm sure the other people that agreed do as well, but i'm pretty sure the op is referring to daily driving around town and not vtec-ing from stop light to stop light.. of course if i really want to go fast i "know how to drive" and can take my car to 8,000 rpm or so and go fast enough. but either way you can't say our cars are fast at 4k or anytime before vtec maybe besides 1st

but if I misunderstood and op was referring to our cars being slow "all out" in gear 1-3 then i disagree of course..

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
ive seen everything now. So now you guys are crying over not going faster in first gear than the other cars. who cares really, our cars have short gear ratios for a reason and torque is not our best trait. Usually i blow through 1st and 2nd and stay once im in third im already way past em. I dont rev it high at all in first i just know the engagement point and gas a little, and im off.
Also were not the only ones who rev to get going a lot of manual tranny folk does it to get moving.
Its more over learning your car and anticipating.

·
Registered
522 Posts
w.e man people in here are getting fiesty.. like i said before i believe our cars make a lot of noise between 3-5ish and have very little acceleration there, about the 1-3 gear talk by the op i stated i know what he means but i also stated "but i got over that quick, i just take it easy and work on mileage it doesnt matter how fast im going in relation to other cars..." so everyone can slug it out here :wavey:

·
Registered
617 Posts
w.e man people in here are getting fiesty.. like i said before i believe our cars make a lot of noise between 3-5ish and have very little acceleration there, about the 1-3 gear talk by the op i stated i know what he means but i also stated "but i got over that quick, i just take it easy and work on mileage it doesnt matter how fast im going in relation to other cars..." so everyone can slug it out here :wavey:

Well i bought the car because the exhaust sounds nice. If you wanted less noise you should have got an EX.

instead if saying 2k 3k...and calling us pussies...it would be helpful if u tell us how much u rev ur engine to

5 to 6 k...our car sounds like its trying to race/pick a fight with the STi/tC/corolla/350z beside us.....and hence most of em think wer racing them ?

Who hits 6k vtec for daily driving? i shift at 3.5. Plus even if they think we are racing we would still win over the corolla and tc but cant say for 350 or sti :eek:hnoes: . And why do you have to worry about what people think of your car? Oh so its too loud so maybe they should have chose a car for you? I love how the SI sounds and wouldnt change it for anything.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
i think this is similar to the thread where people were talking about getting pulled on my dump trucks, old ladies, etc...

its just that our cars cant move without getting into higher rpms.. so it seems as if we are always "racing" if we try to drive normal...

for example.. my dads trailblazer shifts at 4.5k when i pin it.. i shift at 4k during normal driving..

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes i'm talking about daily driving. even hitting redline in first is gonna keep you pretty even with any other decently powered car thats flooring it. we don't start pulling till 2nd or 3rd, 3rd really.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Well i bought the car because the exhaust sounds nice. If you wanted less noise you should have got an EX.
i'm not saying i want less noise, i'm saying i want more acceleration at 3-5ishk rpm or up to vtec to go along with the noise (which at this moment i must make clear that i like the this noise because i will be told to go get an ex if i don't)i actually like the way the car sounds so much that it is the reason i don't have an after market exhaust now. i can deal with a bit louder exhaust and would buy one but i haven't yet because I've been searching for one that keeps our stock tone cause i like it so much

in my previous posts i stated that it has really made me want the reflash,
well that means i want MORE NOISE AND MORE ACELERATION at those rpm's this way when i hear that beautiful engine in vtec and the exhaust to my rear (i enjoy the noise from up front more than the noise from behind though) and it will all feel sooo much sweeter with better accelerating in vtec.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.