8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my friend to install my K & N short ram intake on April 24th, and since he's a technician at my Honda dealership, i trusted him the most. I saw him install everything piece to piece and everything looked so perfect. Then after a few days, when i was driving the Malfunction Indicator Lamp came on.

That same night, one of my friend said that if I just restarted the engine, the MIL will turn off. So i did restarted the engine by putting the key in II and then starting the car. After that, everything went well again until my oil life went down to 15% and the maintenance light went on. As i was driving it to the dealership yesterday, the MIL went on again. I told the guy in service center to have a look at my MIL after they change the oil in my car.

After an hour, the guy called me up, and told me that the service is complete, but the MIL problem is still there and he said that they don't touch or fix the aftermarket intake that was installed in the car, and that was causing the MIL problem. When I saw the note he gave me, it says on the paper that on the MIL, the code PO171 was found. And after driving it for a few more miles yesterday the MIL came off. So it's been coming on and off and i have a feeling that it might come on again anytime soon.

I looked up the code Po171 and it says that it can lead to a lot of things.
Can you guys tell me what the problem may be according in my situation and if the code PO171 is something to get checked out immediately.

·
Registered
48 Posts
that's a lean code...and an ironclad pita to lockdown. Make sure the maf harness is fully plugged in and locked, none of the insulation on the wires are frayed, first. Then look around and see if you see any dangling wire harnesses. no matter how skilled your friend is, the possibility exists that he could have accidentally unplugged something and didn't see it/forgot to plug it back in.

Do you have stock exhaust? If so any chance I could get you to take a recording of what the K&N Typhoon sounds like? I'm trying to decide whether I want the K&N or a true CAI.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's a lean code...and an ironclad pita to lockdown. Make sure the maf harness is fully plugged in and locked, none of the insulation on the wires are frayed, first. Then look around and see if you see any dangling wire harnesses. no matter how skilled your friend is, the possibility exists that he could have accidentally unplugged something and didn't see it/forgot to plug it back in.

Do you have stock exhaust? If so any chance I could get you to take a recording of what the K&N Typhoon sounds like? I'm trying to decide whether I want the K&N or a true CAI.

I see. Thanks for the information bro. By the way, I would recommend for you to get the K & N short ram intake. I did a weeks of research about what intake to get and what kind from short ram to cold air intake. I finally decided to get the K & N short ram cause they said it's easy to install, and by any case the heat soak occur, it's not gonna do any much damage to the engine. However, on the CAI, it can give you a lot of horsepower, but if that thing went to a hydro lock, that thing can mess up the engine as well.

And oh yea 1 more thing, the K & N short ram makes more "AGGRESSIVE" sound than any of the cold air intake. I fell in love when i first hear mine.

If you need any more info about what intake to get, and about the K & N, just pm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts