8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
been seriously considering importing Civic Si sedan and this thread is to help me figure out all the necessary modifications with the help of FA owners as it's not always possible to find everything on the internet (and maybe help anyone else with similar intentions along the way) and also track the list of required modifications

********** some background - you can skip this **********
I've always loved the FA5 (and the JDM FD2R - but I like the US front/rear more) and always hated the European FN2.....few months ago I almost bought one FBP FA5 in Poland (but it was crashed and not repaired nicely) so that only fuelled my desire to own one.

I have my 3rd civic now and it needs replacing as I am kinda sick of dumping more money into it (invested about 5K in the last 2 years and it's still not in a good shape) and cannot find a car to replace it with
I have owned
95 UKDM MB1 Civic 1.6 non-vtec 5door hatch (aka fastback) in Mialno Red [sold]
97 UKDM MB6 Civic 1.8 VTi (b18c4 with LSD) 5door hatch in Orleans Blue [crashed by stupid blonde]
97 UKDM MB6 Civic 1.8 VTi (b18c4 with LSD) 5door hatch in Pirate Black (Black with purple pearl effect visible in sunlight) [still own]

I have found a friend of a friend who has US citizenship and he might be able to bring me one to my country without having to pay the VAT and customs duty which would make the car almost twice as expensive

regrettably where I live (Prague, Czech Republic) is not as easy as let's say Poland to register an US car. But I see many us cars even with red turn signals on the road so I guess I should be able to make it road legal with some modificaitons.
********** some background - you can skip this **********

things that would need sorting out in my country that I can think of (correct me if some of my assumptions/findings are incorrect somewhere in the text) - it might slightly differ in other EU countries, but lot of that would probably apply unless you live in poland or even more "liberal" countries

1) Speedo in km/h
no issue here as the FA is also sold in Canada and the digital speedo can be switched between kilometers/miles with a push of a button

2) Turn signals in headlights cannot be on all the time
as most US cars the FA uses a two wire amber turn signal bulbs that act as parking lights with low brightness all the time and as turn signal with high brightness....this might be solvable by using single wire bulbs that would only turn itself on when signaling turn

2) Amber headlight turn signals
I think the law here requires that both the bulb and the light part must be amber....there is some possibility to get an exception on some of the rules, not sure if on this one as well

the 2009-2011 have only an amber reflective part in the headlight next to the turn signal

not like the pre-facelift 2006-2008 model which has the whole corner amber

are the 2006-2008 headlights interchangeable with 2009-2011? (ie can I install the pre-facelift headlight on facelifted car?)

there are also some aftermarket JDM style headlights with amber corners on ebay like here or here but I'd rather stick to oem of the price is not too high...these on ebay say they're for 2006-2011 so as I understand it the 2006-2008 headlight should be the same as the 2009-2011 headlights and therefore OEM 2006-2011 which have amber corners could be installed on 2009-2011 cars

3) side turn signals
I guess since the car doesn't have any turn signal on the side (mirror/front side panel) I might need to add one.....was thinking of using the hybrid mirrors, but the 2006-2011 hybrid side mirrors look kinda meh so I was thinking either 2012 hybrid side mirrors (modifications would be needed to fit them) or using aftermarket led side mirorr lights that can be purchased on ebay for $10....more info in this thread

4) fog lights cannot be yellow
few guys told me that yellow foglights are not allowed, but I've read the car registration law and there was actually a sentence stating they can....anyway the fog lights are clear in stock so unless I happen to buy a car with aftermarket yellow foglights and it's not just a GFRXP overlay that I can peel off I'll have to buy new foglights but those can be purchased from honda or online without problems

5) tail lights turn signals must be amber (not just the bulb)
the 2009-2011 taillight have clear turn signal area (unlike the 2006-2008 which has it red) so I might be able to just get away with GFRXP amber overlays on the clear part (and hope the technician is not too smart to notice) or there can be purchased aftermarket JDM style taillights with the part already in amber (but I don't like the chrome border on them and it's just more money unless it's necessary

6) the headlight and taillight must have E symbol stamped on them
this one is not possible to solve by changing parts....guess none of the ebay aftermarket headlight and taillight have european homolagation so I'll just have to hope to get an exception for this one.....the only way how to solve that would be to make the front and rear JDM conversion....since the European Civic Hybrid has the JDM look I guess it must have the E stamps....but the JDM converion is quite expensive and most importantly I don't like the JDM look (or at least not as much as the US look)

7) the windows must have E symbol stamped on them
not sure if the US model fulfills this already....the FA5 that I went to look at in Poland had the E stamps (at least that is how I guess they look) on many of the windows, but for example not on the rear window...haven't asked the owner if some of the windows were replaced, but from the after crash pictures he sent me it seems the windshield was not damaged, neither any of the side windows were

the windshield window has the E logo

the side small triangle in front and rear as well

the rear window does not have it

8) there must be rear foglight with a dedicated switch in the interior
since the FA has two reverse lights one solution would be to convert one of them to foglight....I guess just changing the bulb to red and adding a interior switch would be possible....I guess the european civic hybrid must have a foglight switch so I guess it should be possible to obtain the switch from honda dealership...I've seen some honda foglight switches on ebay but not for 8gen....there are some blank switch positions on the left side of the steering wheel so no silly looking mods would be needed....also I think there must be a signal that the fog lights are on....not sure if by that they mean a dedicated light on the instrument cluster or just the lighted switch would be enough....can't find the owners manual of european hybrid (looked in the us hybrid manual and there is no rear foglight on the cluster, but I guess there must be one in the EU version)

not sure if red bulb is enough or the part of the taillight needs to be red as well....guess the only option would be to purchase the gfrxp red overlays without the reverse cutouts and cut the reverse part from it and then combine it with the amber overlays with reverse cutouts

another option would be to use additional light....if I didn't want to add separate foglight on the bumper the only option I've found so far is the mugen bumper with diffuser
the original authenic bumper is really expensive though (600 iirc) and I've mosty seen it without the light, but I've also found a picture with what seems to be authentic bumper because of the fitment and has the light....also there might be some hassle with obtaining it from honda but the latest news are that they will sell it even without the mugen vin

the replicas have terrible fitment issues (looks like crap sitting that low) and I just couldn't put it on my car

9) car must have 3rd red brake light
the FA5 already has a 3rd brake light in the spoiler so I guess I could again just get away with a red GFRXP overlay

that is probably all I can think of from top of my head.....will update the list if I remember some more or find out about some more regulations that need to be fulfilled

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
some questions:

1) were there OEM HID as option? preferably on 2006-2008 model since they would already have amber corners. I guess there weren't an option since I haven't found anything suggesting they were available.

2) can some FA5 owner with original windows check which of them have European homologation stamp? It is an E with number in circle.
Examples can be seen in OP under 7) the windows must have E symbol stamped on them
The car I've seen in Europe had them on some windows, but not all. And I don't know if any were changed so it would be best to ask someone with original car to check.

·
Registered
111 Posts
some questions:

1) were there OEM HID as option? preferably on 2006-2008 model since they would already have amber corners. I guess there weren't an option since I haven't found anything suggesting they were available.

2) can some FA5 owner with original windows check which of them have European homologation stamp? It is an E with number in circle.
Examples can be seen in OP under 7) the windows must have E symbol stamped on them
The car I've seen in Europe had them on some windows, but not all. And I don't know if any were changed so it would be best to ask someone with original car to check.
A:
There was never a HID option for FA5's.

I just checked my '09 FA5 and the rear glass does not have "E" mark. You might replace the window with a "local" version with the mark.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
I saw an FG when I was stationed in germany in the last part of 2006 on wiesbaden Army airfield. These cars have to be legal.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
You're all over the place.... now let's say you actually change all parts necessary to make it legal where you live then import the car, that sounds very expensive for a used honda civic.... let's say you have the $ to do this.... why not just pay someone off there?

·
Registered
33 Posts
where are you located? i see you have a nurburgring sticker on your car and I've been wanting to go as well. I'm out here and have a 2008 Mugen si

·
Registered
5 Posts
headlight

Hello. There is an another issue with headlight.
European law not supporting USA style light beam.
headlightservices.com/files/IMG_204.jpg
Is there some aftermarket solution for this? I am afraid, that the only solution is complete frontend swap from european 4D (hybrid or 1.8 ES)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts