8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've read somewhere here that the MM counts engine revolutions to calculate usable oil life. I have somewhat of a problem with that. I'm at 3700 miles and my oil life meter just flipped over from 60% to 50% oil life. With the original oil in the crankcase, I really have an issue with going possibly 7000 miles before the meter reads 15% or so.

Additionally, you'd think the MM would somehow sense debris in the filter, general oil pressure at specific points, or something like that.

Maybe I'm a little too "old school", but I'd rather just use my "B" odometer counter to count off 5K and change the oil.

Anybody else have trouble trusting this MM concept?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I don't have any problem trusting it. I think my first oil change was around 5,600 miles. Yeah you could think old school if it was an old school engine..but it's not by all means. Following the MM is what they recommend so I don't see myself really doing any different. I'm at around 42,000 miles right now and engine still runs like the first day.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Mine started dropping more rapidly the more miles I put on it (was not linear). I had the original oil changed with the Regular Honda stuff @ 3200 miles. My car reads 5700 miles now and the MM finally made it to 0%. I am going to switch to Mobil 1 full syn @ 6k or so and just change it with the MM from there on out with Mobil 1.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I know I've read somewhere here that the MM counts engine revolutions to calculate usable oil life. I have somewhat of a problem with that. I'm at 3700 miles and my oil life meter just flipped over from 60% to 50% oil life. With the original oil in the crankcase, I really have an issue with going possibly 7000 miles before the meter reads 15% or so.

Additionally, you'd think the MM would somehow sense debris in the filter, general oil pressure at specific points, or something like that.

Maybe I'm a little too "old school", but I'd rather just use my "B" odometer counter to count off 5K and change the oil.

Many people do, including me. I'm "mellowing" out about it, and changing my oil (synthetic) about every 4-5k miles, as I used to be religious about changing it every 3k.

The arguments you'll hear on the board go one of two ways, in regards to the MM.

1) An (team of) engineer(s) (smarter than you) designed the system, so you should trust it.

2) Old schoolers, like me and you, who think the oil should be changed every 3-5k regardless of MM.

The final answer is do whatever you want to do, and whatever you can do, financially speaking. If you have no problems shelling out the bucks for oil, or synthetic oil every 3 months, then so be it.

Do whatever you're comfortable with, me, I'll stick to my 4k-5k miles, and avoid putting too much trust in the MM.

·
Registered
472 Posts
If you are putting full synthetic oil in ANY car, there is no need to change it every 3000 miles. It's just a waste of money. With my driving conditions, the Maintenance Minder is rolling to 15% around 5k miles, and that is my change interval for the synthetic.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
:thumb:

Nope.

Many cars have oil changes well beyong 10k. My wifes MB is 15k mile oil changes!

You'll be fine trusting the MM. visit honda.com owners link or do a search with my user name. I've answered this same type question about 50 times. I think I'll add it to my signature line.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
Visit honda.com and sign up to the owners link. Lots of great info.
Owner Resources - the Official Honda Web Site

this video helps :
http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/Maintenance/maint_schedule.asp#

The stealership wants you to follow there miliage program becuase they need the MONEY, your money. Listen to what Honda America tells you.

Coolant gets replaced in the #5 minder.
Sparkplugs get replaced in the #4 minder.

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/NA0707/NA0707MAINIXA.pdf
PDF file of the owners manual

Leave the break in oil in the car. Maintance minder will tell you when to change the auto tranny fluid (unknown at what milage this happens at I've asked before). I did swap my stock fluid out with Redline D4 very quickly.

Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?​

Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.

American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.

http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/Maintenance/maint_faqs.asp#oilfirst

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I have Mobil 1, I did my first oil change at 4350, I'm at 8700 now with 10% oil life left, i'm waiting until I hit 9 grand then change it, plus all the other crap for maintenance B

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.