8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I asked this in a thread I bumped in the "Inside and out" section:

Sorry to bump this old-ass thread but I'm wondering... I just called to schedule an Oil change and they reminded me I'm 3K over my 15K maintenance. They want $250 to do it :eek:mg:

Shall I pay them and let them do it? I asked what was done and he said they "disassemble the brake calipers and lube where necessary as well as check your steering rack and components, do a tire rotation, check your condenser, and power steering components. Also a tire rotation and engine oil change"

He didn't mention anything about the cabin or outside air filter (which I can change both myself).

My questions are:

1. Should I let them do it?
2. Is that a "fair" or should I say "Normal" price for this service?
3. Will this effect my warranty if I don't have it done?

Thanks!
So in an effort to possibly save some money, I called another dealership and asked what their 15K mile service costs. He said this car does not go by mileage, it goes by the maintenance minder light. I've been getting my oil changed around 30-35% left on the OLM. He claims that since I never let the A1 light come on and re-set the OLM at each oil change interval, that now my Bx light is not going to come on when it should. He said that by re-setting the OLM before the light comes on, they (the dealership doing my oil changes) has been over-riding the on-board computer and not accurately keeping track of the maintenance schedule.

Is this true?! Did I skew the entire maintenance schedule by not allowing the light to come on before each oil change?

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
i would say that you haven't effected the maint. schedule by changing the oil early

i followed the old idea of 3k/3mo oil change intervals for the first couple changes and since then switched over to just watching the maint. minder and the oil changes and other services have been within a consistant time frame...oil changes come at roughly the same mileage every time

since the maint. minder hasn't suggested any other servicing i haven't done anything but oil changes..

btw my car has 66k miles

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i would say that you haven't effected the maint. schedule by changing the oil early

i followed the old idea of 3k/3mo oil change intervals for the first couple changes and since then switched over to just watching the maint. minder and the oil changes and other services have been within a consistant time frame...oil changes come at roughly the same mileage every time

since the maint. minder hasn't suggested any other servicing i haven't done anything but oil changes..

btw my car has 66k miles
Thanks for the input. So has your car showed anything other than A1? Have you gotten any Bx service reminders yet?

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
none yet

my car sees mostly hwy mileage so my oil change intervals(@15% OLM) happen around 8,500-9,000 miles..all low rpm driving and really light load
so
i believe my driving makes the computer suggest service a higher mileage #'s than most others would normally find them at..

i haven't had any Bx Service reminders yet

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
OK, so I just got back from the dealership and they didn't know either. The main question is, is the Bx light dependent on the A1 light(s) having come on? Has anyone ever re-set the OLM several times and still had the B light come on? Finally, those of you who have followed the maintenance schedule, when has your Bx light come on (mileage)?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
just had my second oil change and a "B1" maintenance reminder came on at around 10,000 miles with 15% oil life left. They wanted around 150 bucks for maintenance but i said F that and just got an oil change.

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just had my second oil change and a "B1" maintenance reminder came on at around 10,000 miles with 15% oil life left. They wanted around 150 bucks for maintenance but i said F that and just got an oil change.
Thanks for the input. So I suppose it's fair to say that B1 should be done at around 10K miles.... FWIW B1 includes:

B:
- Replace engine oil and oil filter
- Inspect front and rear brakes
- Check parking brake adjustment
- Visually inspect these Items:
--Tie rod ends, steering gear box, and boots
--Suspension components
--Driveshaft boots
--Brake hoses and line (including ABS)
--All fluid levels and condition of fluids
--Exhaust system
--Fuel lines and connections

1:
-Rotate tires

I wonder if B1 comes on every 10K? Anyone with 20K+ go by the Maintenance Minder and can vouch for this? I just wonder what order these items go in... grrr... this is very frustrating. I just wish I would have known before the first time I let them reset it.

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, so small update:

I've allowed my maintenance minder to come on (it came on at about 19,250) and it shows B1.

This includes everything from my last post. In calling 2 dealerships, they recommended I have my brakes FULLY SERVICED rather than just inspected (one said to do it at 15K miles, the other said at 20K).

A full service of the brakes includes disassembling them and lubricating them vs. an inspection which obviously means checking the pads and visually looking at them.

The question now is, does this need to be done? The B1 as it is listed above is said to cost me $50 at the dealership. The "Full service" that was recommended costs $179 (or $250) depending on which dealership I go to.

Nowhere on the maintenance schedule from the book does it say this is NEEDED ever (but that's just foolish). So the question is, does the FULL SERVICE need to be done now (I'm almost at 20K miles) or can I just have them inspect the brakes, and do the other B1 stuff?

(FWIW, the person who would be doing the oil change/tire rotation and inspections is a buddy of mine that works at Honda. He WILL ACTUALLY inspect things, not just say he did.)

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
i have never heard of disassembling the brakes. the only thing that is truly recommended is to flush the brake fluid and check the pads for wear. the brake fluid should be changed roughly every 3 years or 36k miles.

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i have never heard of disassembling the brakes. the only thing that is truly recommended is to flush the brake fluid and check the pads for wear. the brake fluid should be changed roughly every 3 years or 36k miles.
yeah, that's what I thought was weird. 2 local dealerships now have said there's a difference between the B1 and the FULL SERVICE in that the B1 just inspects the brakes and the FULL SERVICE (Which is recommended at 15K or 20k) includes dis-assembling the calipers and lubricating everything...

I've never really heard of this either. I'm familiar with flushing the brakes every 3 years or 36K miles but I've never heard of disassembling the calipers and lube'n em up...

My buddy just txt me back and said that I don't need that done... not till at least 30K miles. Just wanted to get 8ths opinion though! Personally I think it's the dealership trying to "stimulate their bottom line". I mean, it's not like it's a "BAD" thing to do... I just don't want to do something that is unnecessary.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Most dealerships survive on maintenance rather than new car sales. Breaking down the calipers, lubing, and reinstalling is a nice but unneeded service at 15K in most cases. I would say a quick check for road damage, leaking fluid fittings, and loose mounting bolts is all that's needed unless the pads/rotors are showing uneven/unusual wear.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
A qualified mechanic with a head on his shoulder should be able to tell you based on the mileage and the driving conditions (city/hwy) when a certain maintenance should be performed. That's the problem today, people replaced common sense for computers and became brain dead. I don't agitate against the use of technology, it does make life a little more convenient. But use your head once in a while, will ya?

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
If only people would read and follow the owners manual.

---If people just change the oil/filter early and reset the meter. They will never see the correct code. So from that point on its a guessing game as to when to perform an air filter or auto trans fluid.

-- Never have I heard of taking brakes apart and cleaning them. I'd look in the manual first before I paid for that. Drove many cars past 100k miles and never even changed out the rear brakes much less cleaned them. :)

That's the problem today, people replaced common sense for computers and became brain dead.
Actually it worked like this. Some people with common sense said "hey we live in the modern world. So lets do this novel idea of use labs and equipment to test engines and what needs to be done. Lets take the guessing out of this with some solid testing and data". So now its common sense to follow the owners manual of the car you own and drive now. Its stupid to follow the OLD maintinance for cars of the 1960's.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Nah, I think it worked more like this. "People we need to start sell, sell, sell! What is the cheap way to make our car stand out from other small crappy cars? Corollas are killing us! -I have an idea, lets market "easy and cheap maintenance" by making a digital display that spits out random commands every 6 months. That way our dealers benefit from charging these morons outrageous prices for oil changes and staring at brakes for 5 minutes. Plus we could market this as money saving feature. Works both ways.

"solid testing and data" my ass. You right that it shouldn't be a guessing game, but it just confirms my point, the mechanic should not guess, he should know when to do stuff.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
yeah, that's what I thought was weird. 2 local dealerships now have said there's a difference between the B1 and the FULL SERVICE in that the B1 just inspects the brakes and the FULL SERVICE (Which is recommended at 15K or 20k) includes dis-assembling the calipers and lubricating everything...
Quick look at the owners manual and there isn't anything about "full service"

btw my car has 66k miles
i haven't had any Bx Service reminders yet
A is oil only

B is oil and filter with inspection of other items

So your car has never advised an oil filter change? Have you changed the air filter as Number 2 calls for?

Nah, I think it worked more like this. "People we need to start sell, sell, sell! What is the cheap way to make our car stand out from other small crappy cars? Corollas are killing us! -I have an idea, lets market "easy and cheap maintenance" by making a digital display that spits out random commands every 6 months. That way our dealers benefit from charging these morons MORONS choose to not follow the MM and pay the dealership SOONER right now. Countless number of people never read the owners manual and PAY MORE by walking into the dealerships uniformed. outrageous prices for oil changes and staring at brakes for 5 minutes. Plus we could market this as money saving feature. Works both ways.

"solid testing and data" my ass. You right that it shouldn't be a guessing game, but it just confirms my point, the mechanic should not guess, he should know when to do stuff.

How should/can the mechanic know more than a multi-million dollar Company with million dollar labs and Engineers of various fields?

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
1490 miles Oil and filter change. Yes it was before required. I wanted full synthetic and a better filter. Can't recall if I reset the MM. I probably did just didn't make a note in my owners manual.

9644 miles. B1 MM at near 0%

17644 miles A1 MM at near 0%

24xxx miles B2 MM at 15% as I wait till my supplies arrive.

This covers 0 miles till 24xxx miles. From November 2007 untill now. Almost every tank of gas has been calculated at average 32-34mpg. Auto trans Ex.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.