8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Maintenance minder and synthetic oil question...

14K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  civicfly 
(Does this get an award for oldest revived thread?) There's not really any answer above. Clearly the MM must be assuming conventional oil however. But it doesn't actually specify - which is ridiculous. But anyway apparently synthetic isn't just a bit more durable, it's more like twice. So should be fine going into the negative thousands.

I'm going to say they consulted with their dealerships. Playing with the algorithm slightly will have a big impact on how often ppl change their oil. Like a revenue adjustment screw. :D And if people are driving in every 5,000 km even tho their synthetic would go to 20,000 (or whatever) and they don't realize it because the manual conveniently omits any mention - so much the better.
I grab a sample of mobil 1 synthetic oil 0w-30 pair with a k&N oil filter p1010 and send it to black stone labs. I think I ran approx 7.5k km on that sample when MM hit 0%. Also, I did burn close to 1 qrt or a little less. I was told that additives were still present and I could easily hit 10k km. However, they found a little of fuel mix with the oil. Could be a result of me letting the car ilde on cold winter to get up to temperature before driving (I do this mainly because my 2nd gear synchro is crap. So I let the tranny fluid get warm so I dont grind 2nd). With all this in mind, I decided to just follow the MM for simplicity. I do grab Mobil1 when Canadian tire has it on sale $35 for a 4.73L jar.
Conclusion, IMO
if you want to run extended oil changes, make sure you have a good quality oil filter and you keep checking oil levels. preferably you can check each time you put gas on the car. That way you get a good readying on a level surface.

Very interesting, yes I put in a fram 'synthetic' filter last time which is apparently just that - designed to be more durable. My mileage has been around 7 or 8k also. I usually drive well beyond 0% but even if you change right at 0, synthetic should be lubricating better throughout than conventional, so still an advantage! I will measure how much burned on next change but it's always at the top of the crosshatched area when I check it. But burning that much I think suggests your engine is worn? Which might explain that fuel in the oil too...
That is correct, perhaps my piston rings are a bit worn out. Thats why, for my application extended oil changes will do more harm. Fuel on oil causes dilution which will increase wear. Anyhow. hope this all helps. btw, I read nothing but bad reviews on fram filters. not sure if top of the line is good. I heard napa oil filters are good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.