8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a R18 FA5 (2010 Civic EX Sedan). I only have about 5k miles on it so far, and the first service was free at dealership.

However, they gave me the little sticker saying the next one is 8k miles.

I was wondering if anyone has a list of the service for this car, and when to do it. I asked a dealership, and they told me, and I quote, "Don't worry about it, when the car needs service a light comes on, and just bring it to us."

I hate the local dealership, and I love doing the work on my car myself.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
The 8k, 15k checkup are BS. If the car is running fine, don't bring it in and waste the money to be told "Well, your car's fine; here's the bill."

What I'm doing as far as maintenance with my Si which has 25,xxx on the odometer is bringing it in for the 30k or 35k whatever checkup, just before my bumper-to-bumper warranty is up, and getting everything squared away.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Go by what the owner's manual says. I have seen instances where warranties were attempted to be voided because customers didn't do any of their regular maintenance or were unable to prove if it were done (they eventually got covered, but just a headache you could avoid). Those 200-300k mile Civics you hear about, those are driving around because all their advised maintenance was done. But like I said, go by your owner's manual, not what the dealership says. I'm at 10k and I've done nothing other than a rotate.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the reason I wanted to know is so I would know when to do my oil, rotate the tires, etc etc...

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
For me, each 5k miles = oil change & tire rotation. When doing the tires I look everything over in each wheel well, underneath body and engine very closely.

25k miles = Air & cabin filter, ATF fluid drain and re-fill.

Front pads will depend on driving style (40-60k) Brake fluid change at 3 years.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
oil change - depends on the type of oil used (i.e. conventional vs. synthetic) and how you drive. i change mine every 4k miles.

every 15k miles, change the air filer.

and if you wait until a light comes on for your next maintainence, something is wrong.....as you should keep up with maintainence in the recommended mileage interval.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, this is why I hate dealerships... they are mental! They told me to wait till the light comes on. Pfft. I'll keep an eye on the oil percentage on the Gauges. I'm thinking about doing the oil/filter etc at around 8k.

On my S2000, I knew exactly when to do everything, including transmission fluid, differential fluid, everything. And I did it all myself... I miss that feeling, of knowing when and how to do it all.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Yeah, this is why I hate dealerships... they are mental! They told me to wait till the light comes on. Pfft. I'll keep an eye on the oil percentage on the Gauges. I'm thinking about doing the oil/filter etc at around 8k.

On my S2000, I knew exactly when to do everything, including transmission fluid, differential fluid, everything. And I did it all myself... I miss that feeling, of knowing when and how to do it all.
if u knew how to do everything on an s2k, an r18 shouldn't be any harder.....

·
Registered
674 Posts
Lol! They put a sticker in your windshield saying to service in 3k miles, then tell you to go by the maintenance minder. They need to get their story straight.
Hondas are easy to maintain. I traded in my 2003 civic dx two months back with 129k miles on it. Never had any problems with it. I also never had maintenance performed at the dealer.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
Lol! They put a sticker in your windshield saying to service in 3k miles, then tell you to go by the maintenance minder. They need to get their story straight.
Hondas are easy to maintain. I traded in my 2003 civic dx two months back with 129k miles on it. Never had any problems with it. I also never had maintenance performed at the dealer.

Any regular POS can reach 150k with very minimal maintenance, crossing the 200k mark going up into the 250s is something to be proud of.

Whoever bought your civic will start having problems with it very soon because thats when issues start showing up. Suspension bits wearing out, random seals starting to leak, etc, etc.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know its going to be easy. I know honda's are easy. The s2000 was a very picky lady. I loved her.

The Civic im sure will be far easier. I have only owned it for 5 months. Thats why I wanted a list of the stuff the dealer would do if I took it to them. The price they charge is stupid. I can do almost everything they would do, I just don't know when to do any of it... (Aside from standard oil, filter, lube, tires etc...) What about Air filters, internal, and intake. What about transmission fluid? Etc Etc...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So since I couldn't find one, I made one. I got the user manual out of the car, and grabbed the recommended thing from the dealership...

Only thing I am missing is Automatic Transmission Fluid... when do I have to change that? And being that it is FWD, there is no differential that I have to worry about...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts