8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
I've had just the worst experience ever. I was denied warranty work because of my turbo. They were blaming my turbo for a fire incident I had on the wire harness before I even installed the turbo. I'm at a loss for what to do because the harness was covered under VSC Honda Care warranty I got along with the power steering motor assembly but they kept denying me all because I now have a turbo on. Direct quote from the Service Manager. "You changed the exhaust, It gets too hot now because of that the wires were burned off." For one extensive heat from a properly cooled turbo will not damage the harness. Two, The harness was messed from before I put the turbo on. It just is crazy how Honda is. They told me I can authorize a tear down and see if they will cover the 3rd gear and the o2 sensor but if they don't because of the turbo I would be stuck with the payment for the tear down without any repair being done. I just can't believe how messed up they are. Anybody that can help me please do...

I've had just the worst experience ever. I was denied warranty work because of my turbo. They were blaming my turbo for a fire incident I had on the wire harness before I even installed the turbo. I'm at a loss for what to do because the harness was covered under VSC Honda Care warranty I got along with the power steering motor assembly but they kept denying me all because I now have a turbo on. Direct quote from the Service Manager. "You changed the exhaust, It gets too hot now because of that the wires were burned off." For one extensive heat from a properly cooled turbo will not damage the harness. Two, The harness was messed from before I put the turbo on. It just is crazy how Honda is. They told me I can authorize a tear down and see if they will cover the 3rd gear and the o2 sensor but if they don't because of the turbo I would be stuck with the payment for the tear down without any repair being done. I just can't believe how messed up they are. Anybody that can help me please do...
...yeah your pretty much up **** creek without a paddle

*Mag moss really does not apply to your case

(I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice)

PS if you want an interesting read

Speed:Sport:Life Don?t Panic! The Warranty-Voiding TSB Really Isn?t That Big of a Deal Speed:Sport:Life

No offense,but unless you had a defective harness(it's not hard to wrap wires in loom and tape) I am not toally believing this one.Numerous...possibly hundreds of members on here have aftermarket headers,exhausts and other parts which will make the engine run a bit hotter(without even being boosted) and I have yet to have heard in my 5 years on this forum of ANYONE burning or otherwise melting their harness when it is normally installed. I have seen members burn theirs when boosted,but that is exponentially more heat in close proximity to the harness,far more than a non-boosted car would create(as you say,it was messed up before you even put the turbo on). I'm sorry but it sounds like you are feeding us a line of bs,the service tech is certainly right,you modified your car,and as a result the harness is damaged.

I had an oil spill when I changed my oil and forgot to clean it up. My header had a broken spring bolt so it leaked exhaust and it caught fire when I was driving.
so your AFTERMARKET header (oem exhaust manifolds don't have springs,so this could only happen with an aftermarket header) was blowing hot exhaust gases in the direction of spilt oil that YOU spilled while doing a DIY oil change and somehow Honda is at fault?

please,go sell your car and buy a VW...at least you can legitimately blame the car company on electrical problems then.

I don't feel too bad about bumping this thread (beat me if I'm in the wrong) but I figured I could contribute.

I'm surprised by some of these posts and beating the keyboard with my face over others. I'm quite surprised that many of the dealers you guys are going to are splitting hairs or even bending the rules to exclude you from warranty work, but I under stand their logic. I'm not sure if many of you are aware of how the warranty process works from withing the dealer so I'll try to cover it briefly and simply.

Car comes in for warranty work. I'll say an O2 sensor for this example? So you come in because your CEL is on and the vehicle is under warranty. You pay nothing up front and the tech in the back gets to bring your car in, top off fluids, check the vehicle over (yes, kesooni, MOST should happily do this, free of charge, in the interest of customer satisfaction and the hopes of selling you something, be it an alignment, rotate, filters, etc.), then connect to the vehicle to scan codes and begin the diagnostic process. Everything up to this point is free of charge to you and makes the technician ZERO MONEY. No time is flagged for the technician as of yet. If he scans and finds an oddball code, he'll be going through the service manual and technical guides to check for voltage here, excessive wear there, or anything and documenting ALL of it for warranty purposes. If he sees a standard code that points to O2 sensor replacement in the manual, the O2 sensor is replaced. The technician flags the warranty time for the O2 sensor. Please note, warranty time is ALWAYS less than customer pay. Customer pay is usually/about warranty time X 1.5. No time is flagged for anything else, any diag, any other checks. The O2 sensor is paid for by the dealership, and the dealership pays the technician (in the form of time on their paycheck) for the work he did. The old O2 sensor along with the paperwork documenting the diag process and how the O2 sensor was determined to be at fault is sent away to corporate headquarters for evaluation. They check all documentation for correct diag process and any mention of ANYTHING that could have caused the part to fail at the fault of the customer. They then test the 'failed' part to ensure that it is in fact faulty. If it is not, then they start probing. Assuming the part is bad, and nothing throws a red flag, then the reimburse the dealership for the part cost and the time paid to the technician.
If the dealership sent back an O2 sensor that shows any signs of being messed with or damaged, such as a nick on it from you banging it on something while installing that aftermarket exhaust, or wires show signs of overheating or even melting, the warranty claim is kicked back an the dealership is left footing the bill and lost time for the repair.

I'm not saying anyone here is right or wrong, but just trying to provide a clearer picture of both sides. This is why the dealership doesn't want to warranty the transmission on your supercharged vehicle. While the transmission didn't throw a gear down the road, the dealership cannot know that the trans wont be torn apart went sent away and evidence of greatly increased stress. Yes, they will be tearing down that tranny, looking at every single surface, and measuring everything. These people are trained beyond belief to do just this. All day. Every day. This is EXACTLY what they do and they are incredibly good at it.

Just something to think about when you see the scratch on your mirror from where you banged it in that tight parking space and try telling the dealer that you don't think you hit it hard enough to cause the power adjustable mirror on that side to quit working.

not to bump old thread but i hope someone can answer my question.
i got a 09 fg2 and i installed a AEM v2 short ram intake and 6 months later my car kept getting stuck in LIMP mode and i took it to local honda and they said that because of my intake they would not warranty diagnose or try to fix it. They wanted 300 just to inspect car.. thats BS
my LIMP mode problems.
wont rev past 3k
wont drive faster than 45
cut power in 1/2
Both CEL and /!\ light were on.

Only other mods.
tien s-tech springs
skunk 2 70mm catback
hid
Subs

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.