8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a long shot, but has anyone tried to install a magnetic compass in their 2006 si? If so, how did you compensate for the apparently strong magnetic inteference in this car? I can't get any direction to indicate properly.

I'm having a heck of a time doing this and am about to throw in the towel and buy the dimming mirror with compass. But it's about $400 more than my compass. :(

And GPSs don't have visual compass indicators on them. I don't need a GPS as much as I just sometimes want to know what my heading is. Maybe it's a few years of flying lessons that's made me rely on magnetic compasses.

Thanks.

·
Registered
269 Posts
This is probably a long shot, but has anyone tried to install a magnetic compass in their 2006 si? If so, how did you compensate for the apparently strong magnetic inteference in this car? I can't get any direction to indicate properly.

I'm having a heck of a time doing this and am about to throw in the towel and buy the dimming mirror with compass. But it's about $400 more than my compass. :(

And GPSs don't have visual compass indicators on them. I don't need a GPS as much as I just sometimes want to know what my heading is. Maybe it's a few years of flying lessons that's made me rely on magnetic compasses.

Thanks.
My old TomTom had a compass. So does my Garmin Nuvi, as well as the iPhone 3Gs.

Also, the compass mirrors are not $400. Search eBay or Google Shopping for 08V03-SDA-100B, which is the Honda OEM part. You can get it for well under $200. With a little bit of research, you can spend just a bit more and get a Gentex (who make most of the auto-dim mirrors) with garage door controls too.

Finally, many people are unaware that if you are traveling on a highway, even numbered highways run east/west, while odd numbers are north/south.

You're going to have a heck of a time getting a regular compass to work in your car if it's close to any ferrous metals.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts