8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on getting the magnaflow cat, since i have heard the stock one is sooo restrictive and the mag is only lk 70 bucks...but i plan on getting exhaust in the winter, since i am going away to school i wont be able to get it anytime before christmas....so i was wondering if i could get the magnaflow cat, hook it up to my stock exhaust and then hook it up to my vibrant or skunk2 when i buy it?

also will it increase my performance, or should i just stick with the stock cat?

dont plan on getting a header, and if i do ill put this cat on the end since i want to pass emissions without changing parts out when its coming up!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
soo u wanna cut the cat out and replace with this? or is it a new midpipe? and yes u could bolt it up to after market exhaust if it mounts up like stock

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its a highflow cat, and i heard that our stock cat is super restrictive soo this should have a better gain than exhaust would...and its really cheap...a lot cheaper than the RT cat

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
yeaa it will have gains...should be better than exhaust bc exhuats just has 2 res. and the muffler but stock exhaust is not bad.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep, thats why im changing this out first...and exhaust (still not sure on exhaust since the gains are very low aruond 3 and 5hp at best from what ive seen) so im still questioning the exhaust but want to get a highflow cat for sure....so it should hook up easily?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Magnaflow offers different vesions of there high flow cat, some obdII compliant some not. Either way the cat has to be specifically for the car you are putting it on, at least in CA. or it's still not legal. I looked into this also, this would have been my first mod. They do not list a specific model cat for our car, which means it we can't legaly do the swap out (Those of us in CA). Additionally, they didn't give any specifics on the efficiency of the cat. I was thinking of going with the direct bolt on random technology cat, still not legal. The only problem is will it pass smog. I'm not so much worried about the visual but rather would this or other high flow cats meet the stringent obdII standards when it comes smog time? Check the Magnaflow web site, they have lots of info detailing the legalities and very little about how much more efficient there cats are. If anyone out there has additional info please post as I want to do this mod but more so I want to pass smog.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts