8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

i juz arrived from highway and i was asking my self

wich better a\t or m\t at the highway

coz i try ... and i reached 180km/h ( 110mph) and the rpm was at 3500.... i impressed...... i've a\t

so i wanna ask about the m/t

i'll tray to get video to improov

:wavey::wavey:

·
Registered
165 Posts
A week ago I was asking myslef the same question. I bought my car on Saturday and went with the auto and am glad that I did. I've only had it to 85 so far and the rpms were something like 2600-2700 which is much lower than what a manual would be. In my opinion the auto is the only way to go.

·
Registered
503 Posts
i much prefer the manual in this car. At 80, its at 3500rpm. What it translates to is that i have less of a need to downshift to speed up. With the auto, which one of my friends have, it always seems to be downshifting and hunting through the gears. The car feels lethargic and its clear the auto is geared and programmed for economy.

·
Registered
165 Posts
i much prefer the manual in this car. At 80, its at 3500rpm. What it translates to is that i have less of a need to downshift to speed up. With the auto, which one of my friends have, it always seems to be downshifting and hunting through the gears. The car feels lethargic and its clear the auto is geared and programmed for economy.
I absolutely agree that the auto is geared for economy. I do mostly highway driving and from 60-70 you definetly need the tranny to downshift to get moving. Though I find that over 70-75ish it will go on its own as long as you dont punch it too hard. I personally love the auto and the lower rpms that it turns on the highway, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that is mine.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Double Ditto's

I traded in my AT for a MT for these exact very reasons....

On the interstate - just add gas to go faster - no hunting - and in traffic much more control over speed. MT is much better.

Will comment that a short shifter and a shift knob that goes really low helps this another 100% as well.

-W

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
My only regret about getting the auto trans is living in an area with lots of huge hills. The little 1.8l just doesn't make the torque to hold 5th gear or 4th gear unless I tackle it at a higher speed. At 55mph 4th and 5th are too tall to accelerate without the computer downshifting. I wish the auto trans had manual shifters on the steering wheel so I could keep the RPM's and still have a low load on the engine.

I enjoy the auto trans - first one in almost 10 years for me. I just hammer down at take off to quickly get to the speed limit and hit cruise control. Still get great MPG.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Nah, why saddle such a fun to drive car as the Civic with a slushbox? I'll take a manual transmission any day.
Why? not everyone wants a manual transmission,and besides expect manuals to go the way of the hand crank starter and hand crank windows. Manuals are already being replaced with better,faster more accuratly controlled DSG type transmissions which are far better anyways.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Why? not everyone wants a manual transmission,and besides expect manuals to go the way of the hand crank starter and hand crank windows. Manuals are already being replaced with better,faster more accuratly controlled DSG type transmissions which are far better anyways.
Translation; fat lazy Americans cannot be bothered to learn to properly drive their cars and need to rely on a computer to try and approximate a properly driven manual transmission. The truth of the matter is that no matter how good an automatic (slushbox, SMG, DSG, it makes no difference) gets, it will never be able to anticipate a curve or corner or other reason to proactively downshift, nor will it be able to instantaneously be able to alter the intensity of a shift due to the dynamic environment that we all drive in every day. Contradicting myself a bit, if automatic transmissions are wired into system that can "see" road conditions either via sensors or are neurally wired into the driver's brain, then I concede the point.

Like it or not, the epitaph for the manual gearbox has been written many-many times over the last couple of decades, and yet, cars with three pedals under the dash still account for roughly ten percent of all cars sold in the U.S., and probably will for many years to come.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Translation; fat lazy Americans cannot be bothered to learn to properly drive their cars and need to rely on a computer to try and approximate a properly driven manual transmission. The truth of the matter is that no matter how good an automatic (slushbox, SMG, DSG, it makes no difference) gets, it will never be able to anticipate a curve or corner or other reason to proactively downshift, nor will it be able to instantaneously be able to alter the intensity of a shift due to the dynamic environment that we all drive in every day. Contradicting myself a bit, if automatic transmissions are wired into system that can "see" road conditions either via sensors or are neurally wired into the driver's brain, then I concede the point.

Like it or not, the epitaph for the manual gearbox has been written many-many times over the last couple of decades, and yet, cars with three pedals under the dash still account for roughly ten percent of all cars sold in the U.S., and probably will for many years to come.

1++++

Shipo

Your age is showing. :)

You have to remember the generation that is buying AT cars now are the ones that have to be able to talk on a cell and text on another while still driving. They are the ones that grew up being taught everybody is a winner. So at the end of football, soccer or baseball season. Everybody gets a trophy! When we were kids only the winner got the spoils of war. They get out of school and have no idea what work is. They have to have pizza party's, that a boy days and be stroked all the time. They have to be told there doing good. Not like our gen. If the boss wasn't yelling at you. Hey you were doing ok. If they get yelled at in the work place now its time to contact a lawyer, quit run home to complain to mommy.

The act/art of driving is almost dead in North America. I see youngins look in a car and see a 5 or 6 MT. And all but have a panic attack. There minds get blown just looking at a shifter and three pedals in the foot well.

Its all really very sad. :(

Reactions: e60.deluxe

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
1++++

Shipo

Your age is showing. :)

You have to remember the generation that is buying AT cars now are the ones that have to be able to talk on a cell and text on another while still driving. They are the ones that grew up being taught everybody is a winner. So at the end of football, soccer or baseball season. Everybody gets a trophy! When we were kids only the winner got the spoils of war. They get out of school and have no idea what work is. They have to have pizza party's, that a boy days and be stroked all the time. They have to be told there doing good. Not like our gen. If the boss wasn't yelling at you. Hey you were doing ok. If they get yelled at in the work place now its time to contact a lawyer, quit run home to complain to mommy.

The act/art of driving is almost dead in North America. I see youngins look in a car and see a 5 or 6 MT. And all but have a panic attack. There minds get blown just looking at a shifter and three pedals in the foot well.

Its all really very sad. :(
^it's almost always the middle-aged women/exec types I see talking on cellphones/eating/screaming-at-their-kids-in-the-back while causing every other motorist around them to panic due to their erratic driving.

Not every 20-something and under are fat lazy slobs who need to do 6 things at once and not give a damn about the safety of everyone else. Your generation has as many assh0les as mine, they just hide behind "experience" to mask their character :biggrin:

·
Registered
6,059 Posts

i agree. lets also not forget that an MT is still the de facto transmission for Europe...even in highly traffic congested cities such as London and Paris.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I dont see the point of this. Live and let live. If you wanna drive a stick, stop bit**ching and drive a stick. If you wanna drive a auto, stop bit**ing and drive a auto. What difference does it make to moan and complain over what the other is doing as long as you are happy. I mean this is kinda pointless to debate over which was first and which is better, who gives a s*it as long as you are driving what you want to be driving.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
The R18 in auto gets 1 more mpg on the highway than the manual but 1 less mpg in the city. So, as far as MPG are concerned, go with an auto for mostly highway driving, and a manual for city. Since buying an SI, however, I will never buy an auto again.

·
myspace.com/assistant_ar
5,306 Posts
yeah AUTO is good for those HOW CANT DRIVE STICK ahahahahaha too bad you guys with AUTO cant realize what you guys are missing that :vtec: sound and shifting at redline you guys are missing all the fun this car have to offer SI FTW !!! o btw typhical americans have FAT LAZY ASS and want everything to be done for them, thats why in this world AMERICAN have the FASTEST people ON EARTH

btw its jsut my oppinion, everyons is unique have different oppinion about certain things on this one MANUAL FTW !!!!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
yeah AUTO is good for those HOW CANT DRIVE STICK ahahahahaha too bad you guys with AUTO cant realiase what you guys are missing that :vtec: sound and shifting at redline you guys are missing all the fun this car have to offer SI FTW !!!
don't care if you drive stick or slush

I care, as the guy potentially driving near you, that you drive safe and sane :thumb:

Also, safe and sane != prude/driving-miss-daisy-type

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I dont see the point of this. Live and let live. If you wanna drive a stick, stop bit**ching and drive a stick. If you wanna drive a auto, stop bit**ing and drive a auto. What difference does it make to moan and complain over what the other is doing as long as you are happy. I mean this is kinda pointless to debate over which was first and which is better, who gives a s*it as long as you are driving what you want to be driving.
:yeahthat:

I have one of each..
Civic = Manual
P/U Truck = Auto

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
I feel sorry for those of you who have never rev'd to 8000 in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, hell i even tried to in 6th but failed. speed limiter.
I fell sorry that you need to. I fell sorry that my car cost thousands less to purchase and will cost thousands less to drive. That savings can buy a nice sportbike with a 12k rpm limit!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.