8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,
New member here. I have been reading this amazing forum since I got my civic last year and decided to register just a while back. :)

I am still really new to the whole car part and mod scene, so please forgive me if I made any mistakes or say anything wrong.

I have a 2009 civic coupe LX. My question is: does any of your automatic civic feels like it is eager to "down shift"? I didn't really paid attention to it until my dad asked me about it. It seems like my automatic civic really likes to shift (into higher gear). So I would be accelerating up a long hill and the moment it hits 50 mph, it will shift up to what feels like the 5th gear. I know it shifted because the RPM indicator will drop (say 3~3.5K to 2k) and the car feels like it loss some torque and isn't accelerating any longer, like when you are cruising on the high way at 60 mph except it's at 50. I hope this is normal. :xyxnervou

Is it because of the civic is a econ box? Shifting to a higher gear as soon as possible to conserve gas?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hey there, welcome to 8th civic!

I too have an 09 LX auto and am happy with how it runs. I suppose if you wanted to keep the engine from shifting to higher gears, you could put it in D3 when appropriate, like accelerating. I take advantage of the 1, 2, D3 selectors all the time! More fun to drive that way :wheee:

·
Banned
873 Posts
I have the same thing. For one, the Auto will not downshift unless its a super computer. Which it is not

I really give it some gas to avoid shifting to put loose the momentum of the speed its going at.

Going downhill if i break it will downshit and i can feel the tranny fall back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an '09, EX, auto & live in Phoenix, AZ. It's fairly flat in Phoenix. However, if driving to the East or North, you get into the mountains & hills pretty quickly.

My experience has been that the auto likes to downshift quite a bit on hills. Probably due to the lack of torque the engine provides. My guess is that a torqueier engine would pull you up the hill easier without having to downshift.

This car was purchased as a going to work/grocery-getter vehicle & it does this job very well, so far. My "driving life" started with a '62 VW, '65 VW & so on. These cars had 36-40 HP, no A/C, AM radio's, stick shift (4-speed), 32 mpg. max. on the highway & were quite primative by today's standards. However, they got me across the country, numerous times & were great, durable vehicles for their time. Today's Civic is a Rolls-Royce in comparison.
BTW, the cheapest gas I ever bought was 15.9 cents a gallon at a Gulf station in Detroit, MI. around 1969, during a "gas war". My budget for fuel, in those days, was next to nothing.

Joe F.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks guys for the welcome and replies! (minus the SI posts). I made a mistake, I meant to say "up shift", big difference. haha. It loves to shift into higher gears while going up hill and I loose power.

I do step on the accelerator harder to keep it from "up shifting", but that wastes gas and kind of defeat the purpose of an econbox.

Do you guys think it's problem with the tranny? That's what my dad and I are afraid of the most. It's being doing it ever since day one, we purchased it new from Honda dealer.

Automatic is my personal choice. I commute early in the morning and I don't want to be stuck in the traffic with a manual, it will drive me insane especially when the drive is usually an hour plus.

@Adam_EX
I have no idea what you are talking about, perhaps it has something to do with the way I used the term that disagreed with you, but I don't see how it relates to supercomputer at all.

·
Registered
735 Posts
so he can be a cool guy like you?
with your .2 extra liter, 1speed, and 40 additional horses that can be easily accomplished through basic gutting, and bolt on parts?

no,and if youll read, he has auto
theres is no auto si

The Si has 57 more HP, and I really doubt you can achieve that with an R18 with just "basic gutting and bolt-on parts"

·
Registered
439 Posts
i got an auto and sometimes the rpms will stay high, for a few seconds after letting off the gas, it seems to do it right at 4th-5th gear point. its not like toyota sticking, just confused gear sticking like it should be in the next gear but doesnt make the change.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I think the auto tranny is fine while it is flat but it is just terrible in hills. As Strate_LOSS said, if you give it some gas it will usually prevent the shift and keep you going.

xyflz, why are you getting upset over a "Shoulda bought an Si post"? It's a bit pointless.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Put your foot down when your going up hills. I wish I had an Si, maybe then I wouldnt struggle going up a hill with 4 people in my car, flooring it at second gear... But then again... I still love my car.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I think the auto tranny is fine while it is flat but it is just terrible in hills. As Strate_LOSS said, if you give it some gas it will usually prevent the shift and keep you going.

xyflz, why are you getting upset over a "Shoulda bought an Si post"? It's a bit pointless.
you are right. im just sick of fools saying that. they should have bought a ferrari instead of a civic

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
you are right. im just sick of fools saying that. they should have bought a ferrari instead of a civic
Meh, if it makes them feel better then whatever. I could have purchased an Si but chose the R18 instead. I have my various reasons for doing so. The only reason the Si guys say that is because they know they will always get some R18 owner bent out of shape.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
For the OP just drive the car and don't worry about rpms. Any engine often requires a
down shift on up hills. And any engine works best for mpg when in the highest
gear. The low torque Honda will downshift just like any other low torque car. I have to down shift my 5speed truck to 3rd gear to pull a hill when towing my boat. Si owners also downshift from top gear on some hills at lower speeds.

Sounds like the op is trying to get superior mpg in which case the automatic can be tricky in hills and the driver has to be aware of pedal pressure,current speed, anticipated speed loss on the hill.

·
Registered
513 Posts
and to contribute to this post, people who talk **** about autos either havent driven this one, or just hate autos in general.
i love my auto 09 lx very prompt with shifting and always seems to know what id want it to do
Cool. Shame it can't do what someone who wants performance out of their car needs it to do. Unless it uses satellite imagery as well as electrodes reading your mind to know when a turn is and how you want to negotiate it.

You're being just like him, but thinking autos are the best thing ever. Most people with automatics hate manuals because they can't drive one or they have to be stuck in traffic.

With the R18 having a five speed auto, I wouldn't suggest shifting it to D3. I don't know how fast they'll go in each gear but that's downshifting two gears just to hold momentum on a hill. Give it more throttle and let it go to 4th on its own.

Haven't driven any R18s to know how an auto feels though, so I can't tell you if I've had the experience you do.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts