8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 civic EX, 5 speed, coupe. I purchased it after only 1 previous owner(a 37 yr old woman). The car was bone stock. To my knowledge the car doesnt come with a limited slip diff, but when I do a burnout there are two evenly laid black marks and both wheels spin. Is this normal?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
importlover said:
I have a 2000 civic EX, 5 speed, coupe. I purchased it after only 1 previous owner(a 37 yr old woman). The car was bone stock. To my knowledge the car doesnt come with a limited slip diff, but when I do a burnout there are two evenly laid black marks and both wheels spin. Is this normal?
That is odd...

It could just mean that both wheels are receiving enough torque from the engine to spin and somehow, one wheel isn't losing any traction (normally the passenger side as it is unloaded unless you have a passenger) and both are allowed to spin.

Was this a one-time occurrence? Or can you repeat it?

Anthony "Mario" Crea

·
Registered
920 Posts
LSD's transfer torque from wheels without traction, to wheels with traction. The 2000 EX coupes had a conventional open differential (as most cars without LSDs do). All this means is that it can't transfer torque from wheel to wheel. On a nice, flat stright road, this is OK, because there is not a loss of traction on one side or another. As a result, both wheels spin together. Its the uneven loss of traction (whether by a bump, gravel, turning, etc.) on either side that causes the LSD to kick in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts