8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have saved enough to buy a set of comptech springs. but i have stock struts and i don't know if its safe to ride on those with with after market springs. any rub issues and what i need after i install them?

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
This has been asked time and time again... Yes, it's safe.. recommended? No! BUt you will be alright for ahwhile.

·
Registered
743 Posts
its fine to ride on them...but eventually the shocks will blow. how soon is determined by the driving habit and condition. good luck though. if your planning on riding on stock struts till you get some aftermarket ones, you should be fine. but just remember. EVENTUALLY they WILL blow.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
its fine to ride on them...but eventually the shocks will blow. how soon is determined by the driving habit and condition. good luck though. if your planning on riding on stock struts till you get some aftermarket ones, you should be fine. but just remember. EVENTUALLY they WILL blow.
Yep, shocks can last well over a year for the average driver. Like the above guy said, it really depends on how much you commute, the terrain, and how you drive.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
As a long time Honda driver, I have had great luck with lowering on stock struts. My 97 civic was lowered for two and a half years without any issues or loss of ride quality and it was lowered 3.5". Then moved to an 01 Integra. Lowered about 2.25" and it lasted nor changed for 3.5 years. Loved that car. Sold it for my 06 Si. Have had it lowered less than 2" about 9 months or so and the shocks in the rear blew out about a month or two back. I have never been so disappointed in the stock struts nor did I see this coming. And we STILL don't have any great options for aftermarket struts. Thanks guys...

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
I would say if you want to get your car lowered get the springs. Eventually your shocks will blow but it's gonna take a long time before it does (Depending on how you drive).

Just think of it this way, by the time your shocks blow, you'll have enough money to get coilovers or Koni will have their shocks available.

·
Si-Onara
5,874 Posts
if you have a small drop like 1 inch or so like the eibach or Comptech (made by eibach) you wolnt have hardly any issues at all from what i hear not even alot of camber issue. Plus it will cause increased strain on your shocks but dont plan on doing a S-Tech drop and your shocks lasting 5 years.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I would say if you want to get your car lowered get the springs. Eventually your shocks will blow but it's gonna take a long time before it does (Depending on how you drive).

Just think of it this way, by the time your shocks blow, you'll have enough money to get coilovers or Koni will have their shocks available.
people said the same thing when i got my springs last Spring. Stilllllllllll waiting.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts

I wouldn't get springs installed then wait for koni to release their shocks. That could be another 1 or so from now. If you're going to lower your car, do it right and wait for shocks. Or just go with a suspension set up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.