8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it snowed hard yesterday and this morning, i turned my car on and was driving for a minute or 2 and then i noticed a horse-shoe sign with an "!" in the middle (Low Tire Pressure Sign). I stopped the car adn checked out all the tires and they look fine. Should i continue to drive or get it checked out or what are my other options? what would you do in my situation???

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
It's probably just low because of the colder air. When it's cold, the air compresses and there will be less pressure. Just go to a gas station and fill them to 32-34 psi and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah, TPMS can be most annoying. My wife's Armada has that, and even has a display for how much air is in each tire. It is set to go off whenever it falls below what the manufacturer's door sticker says for recommended PSI. For instance, on the Armada it specs 35 PSI, which is a little high for my preference, so I usually run about 33. No problem in the summertime.

Winter temps have kicked in here in Denver, and I think for about every 10 degrees Fahrenheit, PSI drops about a pound. So now TPMS is on again and reflects about 30 in each tire. Haven't gotten around to adding the couple pounds necessary to make TPMS go away.

By the way, just looking at a tire won't tell you if it's low or not, especially with our lower profile tires. Stick an air gauge on them, and bring it up to within a pound or two of what the door sticker says, and the TPMS light should go off.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, TPMS can be most annoying. My wife's Armada has that, and even has a display for how much air is in each tire. It is set to go off whenever it falls below what the manufacturer's door sticker says for recommended PSI. For instance, on the Armada it specs 35 PSI, which is a little high for my preference, so I usually run about 33. No problem in the summertime.

Winter temps have kicked in here in Denver, and I think for about every 10 degrees Fahrenheit, PSI drops about a pound. So now TPMS is on again and reflects about 30 in each tire. Haven't gotten around to adding the couple pounds necessary to make TPMS go away.

By the way, just looking at a tire won't tell you if it's low or not, especially with our lower profile tires. Stick an air gauge on them, and bring it up to within a pound or two of what the door sticker says, and the TPMS light should go off.
kk thx 4 ur help +repped

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yep, very temperature dependent. I never saw any TPMS light until it got really cold one night. Started her up in the morning and the light was on. Sure enough, measured cold pressure and I was at about 28 on all four tires. Pumped up to 32 while in the driveway (cold tires), drove for about five minutes before the light went off. As long as it continues to work that way, I actually like the idea of having TPMS. We'll see how I feel about it in a year or so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts