8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello.

I have an si.
MY oil life just got to 20%. (new car, just got t 20%)

I noticed a decrease in power.
Engine sounds normal.

Just want to see if this is normal to feel less power when oil life is low.

dbw limited my throttle when oil life is oil?
or is it mechanical that the engine simply output less power when low oil life?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Yes, your car will not perform as great as it will with 100% full oil. I ran into some issues with that and VTEC problems that lead to not having enough oil. Always get your oil changed every 4-5k miles on synthetic to have a healthy, long lasting car :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
When oil is low, you should typically experience more HP since the crank has less resistance to work with. Obviously old oil full of contaminants will offset such difference. Fresh oil on the low side (still within spec) = most HP.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
hello.

I have an si.
MY oil life just got to 20%. (new car, just got t 20%)

I noticed a decrease in power.
Engine sounds normal.

Just want to see if this is normal to feel less power when oil life is low.

dbw limited my throttle when oil life is oil?
or is it mechanical that the engine simply output less power when low oil life?
BZZZZZZZ, none of the above. You are suffering from the placebo effect my friend.

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
BZZZZZZZ, none of the above. You are suffering from the placebo effect my friend.
:yeahthat:

The oil life meter is providing a rough estimate of the life of the oil. It does not take into account the amount of oil in your engine... You could have 5L and have a negative reading i.e. -15% and it does not throttle the power.

·
Registered
368 Posts
well i juss change my oil and added royal purp since its only a dolla more but before my oil life was at 50% and the si jus didnt feel right but after oil change it was def smoother and felt like itself again btw i always change it at 50% and i drive very hard (vtec alot)and if i would of went to 0% it wouldove been close to 8k between oil changes so i dont trust that meter but thats jus me

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.