8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I used to have a 06 Civic Ex sedan and the gas used to last me for up to three weeks. Unfortunately It was totaled because someone rear ended me. Now I have a 08 Civic Lx Sedan. I changed the engine air filter, got the throttle body cleaned, fuel injectors clean, spark plugs change, cleaned the mass air flow sensor, and I’m having no problems driving what so ever. Before I did all this the gas would last me a few days, now it’ll last me over a week.

Here’s the main thing. I’m hearing a loud hissing noise on the driver side engine bay. I think I may have a crack in the stock air intake, but I have no idea what to look for.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Perhaps a vacuum hose is off, or something wasn't tightened down after the throttle body was cleaned? You will just have to keep looking/hearing for the leak while the engine is idling. Wear gloves, but if you run your hand around the area you think it is coming from, you can sometimes pinpoint it when the noise changes a little as your hand covers/deflects the noise.

I've also heard of people using a spray bottle with water to spray different areas to pinpoint the leak. Don't flood it, but just mist different areas. The noise will change when water fills the gap.

Good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update, finally had the time to check the stock air intake from the point where the air gets sticker in all the way to the box. I hand touched it and spray water but nothing. Also, I noticed that my gas has been lasting. But I’m still hearing the hissing noise. It doesn’t change in pitch when the engine is raved, I just don’t know what to do now because I know it’s not normal for our cars to do that

·
Registered
99 Posts
Still think it might be a hose off, or a hole in a hose/leaking joint. Sounds like a vacuum leak, and a small one wouldn't necessarily mess up your fuel mileage. Sometimes the air cleaner housing is hard to get seated back just right - could that be the issue? Maybe focus on the parts your removed when you cleaned the throttle body? (or did this exist before you did any work).

I guess just keep looking around. Maybe stand different locations and see if you can triangulate where the noise is coming from. I have an engine stethoscope that I have used to find locations for noise, but I've heard of people using a hose held up to their ear to do the same thing. You look kind of funny, but if it works - what the heck.

Another trick is to take a page-sized piece of cardboard and use it to "block" areas of the engine and see if the noise changes. And have a helper also to pinpoint.

Good luck...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts