8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone else got this? Its a 07 coupe EX manual

occasionally, there is a loud flexing/popping sound coming from what appears to be the pillar on the drive side, by the top of the dash. I can almost feel it.

When it does it, it tends to do it all day long. When it doesn't do it, I don't hear it for several days at a time, sometimes weeks.

It seems to do it in both Hot/Cold weather, although its been all cold lately.

Any idea? Im not hard on bumps,, nor turns.

It happens most of the time when Im at a stop, and start to move the car forward. I can not hear it on turns, or cruising, only from a stop-go position.

Help! Its definitely something in the door area up front.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
i don't think you need to worry. our cars are notoriously noisy. i have rattles and strange noises all the time. and like you said sometimes they'll happen one day and then the car sounds perfect for a few days then another sound comes along. i've heard different noises from passenger side dash like by the defroster vents, driver side dash kinda the same spot you're talking about, driver side seat belt/pillar, and different random trunk/trunktray noises. if it really sounds bad and you're worried get it looked at though. most likely its nothing that is going to be a problem/can be fixed though.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had the same issue, and I'm getting ready to post as a separate "FIX" thread. Slow speed right turns produced a very clear popping or binding sound in the driver's side front area. I could not produce the noise by turning the wheel when the car was not moving, so I was fairly certain it was not the SRS cable reel, or some plastic scraping in the steering wheel.

Took it to the best car dealer I've ever dealt with (Priority Honda in Virginia Beach, Va), and they immediately replaced the driver's side strut assembly.

Problem completely GONE!

I have a 2008 EX Coupe 5 M/T.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the same issue, and I'm getting ready to post as a separate "FIX" thread. Slow speed right turns produced a very clear popping or binding sound in the driver's side front area. I could not produce the noise by turning the wheel when the car was not moving, so I was fairly certain it was not the SRS cable reel, or some plastic scraping in the steering wheel.

Took it to the best car dealer I've ever dealt with (Priority Honda in Virginia Beach, Va), and they immediately replaced the driver's side strut assembly.

Problem completely GONE!

I have a 2008 EX Coupe 5 M/T.
Im not sure if its the same. Since mine only happens when I start moving the car and all. Its weird though, sometimes I can just feel it like Im part of that side of the car or something.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It still sounds like it could be your strut assy. I also had a rear shock replaced when the car had 600 miles on it because it was popping loudly. These are the ONLY disappointments I've had with my Civic. I absolutely love it, but I'm shocked at the stock suspension quality. I posted a better thread on this in the "Mechanical Problems......" thread - more detail. Good luck - those kinds of noises drive me insane.:eek:mg:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.