8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bolted on the rt cat this week end and removed the rosonator. The intake is set up like the mugen now (stock piping down to the fender well, rosonator cut off and upper tube gone). After I did these mods the vtec switch over is all but gone. Almost no change in sound and vtec kick. Could it be that the mid range has improved this much to not notice that kick in power at 6k? I can understand that the sound would be some what diminished because the rosonator made it more pronounced but wow my vtec is gone. I know that the switch over goes away with the hondata reflash but I didn't expect it to go away with just an intake and cat mod. Any one else experience the same? So how does it feel? Just like a smooth increase in power as the revs climb. There is no kick at 6k but over all it seems be just as fast, and a bit stronger off the line and in the mid range. What's odd to me is I expected the top end to feel stronger if anything not the bottom end. Guess I was wrong. For those that have made the same changes please chime in. I should also mention I'm still running the stock exhaust and air filter.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I did the same mod and the crossover isn't as pronounced, but I put in a K&N filter as well and a p2r spacer, I have a skunk2 exhaust so I definitely feel it now and hear it.

·
Premium Member
9,414 Posts
dentrecords said:
I'll ask a basic question.. your car was completely warmed up, right?
haha that is what i was going to ask.. sounds to me like that is most likely what was happening..

when i had mine on for the brief amount of time that i did, i could still feel the vtec kick just about as strong

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
:yeahthat: I have an Injen CAI, and the RT cat, and there is no mistaking the crossover point, still has a good kick, and the intake def. makes you hear it. The midrange increaced on my car with the cat also, but vtec is still noticable.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL, Ya it was warm I drove it all day and the vtech fluid was so full it was almost bubbling out. I forgot to mention I also did the tb spacer and gaskets as well as the coolant bypass. The vtec x-over was still evident with the spacer mod (normal), very slightly diminished with the cat (slight change in sound as well) and just about gone after the intake mod. Another thing I forgot to mention is that I had the battery out of the car for a day. It made the work easier and I also added an air horn. I'm thinking maybe the computer reset itself and is relearning or adjusting still. Any one know how long it takes to go from standard setting to adjust to new peramaters. Idle did seem to stay high for longer than normal after initial start up but once it did finally warm everything seemed to be in order except the vtec sound.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys are too much. Na, thats not it I got little feet (uhh, I mean in comparison to my other body parts). Anyway the cars not any slower feeling. It's just that with out the rosonator that nice vtec sound is gone. I think the sound must have been a contibuting factor in the perceived amount of additional kick in power at vtec.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Check your oil. Too low on oil and the car won't have enough oil pressure to engage VTEC. Do you have any CEL's? Does the car rev past 7500rpm? When cold VTEC will not engage and the car won't be able to rev past 7500rpm. I'd imagine if VTEC doesn't engage (even when warm) you'll receive some sort of premature revlimter like this as well (but don't quote me on that, just an assumption).

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
VTEC has nothing to do with an exhaust mod. It is in your head. Take off the negative terminal though for about 20 mins and let the car warm up and then go drive it. That will allow the ECU to reset.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Like others have said your mods have done nothing to either the engagement point nor the dip slightly before to feel the "kick". If anything my vtec hits harder after installing the RT cat, and pulls way more up top.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"VTEC has nothing to do with an exhaust mod.'
agreed, it's the intake mod that totally changed the sound.

"It is in your head."
Not a chance, the sound has dramaticly changed! I didn't mean it literaly that the vtec is gone, just the sound is gone and percieved punch due most likely to increased mid range.

"Check your oil."
Just changed it last week to Mobil1 full synthetic, level is good, no cel's. Rev's to redline no problem.

I'm not the only one to do the air box mod and have the vtec sound change/ dissapear. There is a thread called "what do you like more about vtec" (I think that's what it was named.) Others have reported the loss of the vtec sound as well. Not sure if still have the kick though, it wasn't mentioned. So far I guess I'm the only one with the air box mod, rt cat and stock exhaust.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
anubis, do you have a stock exhaust and air filter? I'm thinking that I'm not getting the most from my top end because I have not yet changed mine. It would make sense that I could feel the mid and not the top so much when flow is still restricted from the stock filter and exhaust. i.e. Flow has improved but only up the limit of the stock filter and exhaust? just a guess.

Any one out there know of a high flow drop in filter out besides the k&N. I would prefer a dry flow filter, no luck thus far though.

I suspect that I'm NOT doing my mods in an order that most have done. Normaly I would have done the exhaust and intake first, then a cat and tb spacer. Problem is if had done that the wife would have been louder in her complaints than a skunkII at full song.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts