8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the title being a question i did not know how else to title it.

However,

Hi everyone. I am new here. I just picked up a 2008 Honda Civic SI, SI Blue. I drove my old honda civic ex into the ground with 190,000 miles... << done with history/introduction.

So this is my issue. I read this forum for about 2 days on the break-in period, realizing the break-in theory was all relative and quite a hot topic, i decide to say "ok screw the 600 mile break in" and i then let the car loose at around 420miles.

Now to the issue.
I feel like after really hitting hit hard (i did not redline btw, i only hit 7.5rpms in 3,4,5) that i feel a loss of HP. Not significant but noticable. I was curious as to if anything could have gone wrong that could account for the HP loss i feel.

My friend who owns an Evo (and was with me when i did my first lil run) says that im just used to the power now and it doesnt feel as intense..

am i crazy or could i have lost some HP in some weird internal engine accident?

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
I'd have to agreed with your friend aswell.

Do you 'feel' this loss in any RPM range in specific? or just in general?

If specifically in the low range I think you may have gotten used to the extra kick of the vtec when you hit the 6.2k RPM mark (pretty sure thats when it kicks in on the Si's)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PhalanX said:
I'd have to agreed with your friend aswell.

Do you 'feel' this loss in any RPM range in specific? or just in general?

If specifically in the low range I think you may have gotten used to the extra kick of the vtec when you hit the 6.2k RPM mark (pretty sure thats when it kicks in on the Si's)

aye from 3-5rpms. It feels as if it isnt accelerating as fast/raw power is lower. I dunno call me crazy -=P i just wanna make sure nothing happened before i get to many miles on it. I cant actually formulate what could of happened though as i am an IT dork and not a motor head, hence why i come to you guys. If i learned one thing in IT its search for answers if you gut tells you something could be wrong, prove your gut wrong instead of ignoring it.

·
Registered
618 Posts
welcome to the world of wanting to go faster...it is a never ending cycle, buy car..car is fast...car feels slow...make mod...car is fast again...car feels slow...make mod....etc..you get the idea...speed is just like a drug...

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
j0ntar said:
aye from 3-5rpms. It feels as if it isnt accelerating as fast/raw power is lower. I dunno call me crazy -=P i just wanna make sure nothing happened before i get to many miles on it. I cant actually formulate what could of happened though as i am an IT dork and not a motor head, hence why i come to you guys. If i learned one thing in IT its search for answers if you gut tells you something could be wrong, prove your gut wrong instead of ignoring it.
I work IT aswell, its a good strategy.

But anyways... I dont have an Si, so Im not 100% positive, but this is my guess.

The Si 'hits vtec' at about 5,800 RPMs. Some stuff happens in the motor (not sure exactly what) and your WHP jumps up by roughly 25hp. Then, when you drop back below that RPM mark, vtec disengages.

So, my guess is that when you were 'breaking in' you probably never hit vtec. Then, when you let loose you hit it quite a few times and got used to the extra power. Now, when you are in the 'normal' RPMs the car feels less powerful.

My info may only be partially correct, but Id be willing to bet that this is where your issue is.

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
NIGHTHAWKSI said:
^vtec is at 5800rpm. but yea, definatly got use to teh vtex power, and now everyhitng before 5800 seems like nothing
I almost put 5800, but then i convinced myself it was @ 6200. Oh well... but yea. I definitely think thats what hes experiencing.

Hes caught the vtec fever... and the only solution is.... MORE VTEC!! :vtec:

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
PhalanX said:
I almost put 5800, but then i convinced myself it was @ 6200. Oh well... but yea. I definitely think thats what hes experiencing.

Hes caught the vtec fever... and the only solution is.... MORE VTEC!! :vtec:
Edit your post, please. Misinformation for the loss!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts