8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I refer to this thread for a previous discussion on this topic:
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15482&highlight=belt
But that thread deals with the Si, and the 06 LX Coupe is a bit different.

I have taken pictures of where the tensioner is located, and I'm wondering how I can access it to move the tensioner to get the belt off of my alternator. I have a ratchet set but I don't have any open ended wrenches, so I will probably need to get one, but I'm not sure what size the bolt is. Does anyone know?

Do I need to be turning the bolt towards that windshield or towards the front bumper?

Here are pictures of where the auto tensioner bolt is on the R18.

The silver part is the part I think I need to put the wrench on, and then I will tug on the belt as I'm pushing that bolt towards the windshield and that should do it I think?

Here are some other pictures to get a better idea of where this tensioner bolt is located.
In this pictured it is located behind the big black wire you see. It is peaking out a bit on the bottom from behind the wire.

Here you will see it sticking out right there behind the belt.

So, what size open ended wrench will I need and which way should I be turning the wrench if this is the right spot?

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
77 Posts
you need a 19mm box end wrench(try to get one that's flat all the way end to end and not curved at the ends). put the box end on there and double up another combination wrench or use a piece of pipe over the 19 for extra leverage(the tensioners are pretty stiff and you have to move them slowly since they're hydraulic and you can damge it pushing to hard all at once). push toward the firewall slowly until it is maxed out(until it stops moving any further)and reach to your alternator with a free hand and slide the belt off.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
i made a tool out of 1/2 inch cold rolled steel. then i ground a hump out of the back of the socket, and welded it to the bar. perfect, simple access.:thumb:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
get a serpentine belt tools. snap on has them, they're a little pricey if you're not a daily mechanic. Craftsman and gear wrench offer similar products at a better price

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome, thanks for the help fellas. I will be installing a high output Alternator on Saturday, which is why I need to remove the old one.

Thanks for all the help. 19mm box end wrench with breaker bar is what I'll be getting.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to make sure I understand this correctly. I basically just act like I'm "turning" the bolt towards the windshield right? I shouldn't worry about it actually turning though, just moving the whole arm right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts