8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2008 Civic LX automatic sedan with 109,000 miles. For the last couple of months I have had a rattling squeaky sound when I drive slow over bumps. It sounds like something is loose. About a year ago I installed new strut assemblies on both sides. Three months ago I changed the cv axles and axle seals, and a month ago I changed the front brake calipers and brake pads. The sound is coming from the front driver's side when I drive on uneven areas where the car bounces a little. Here are two videos (sorry my keys jingle a little). If anyone has any ideas of what it could be, let me know, thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry I did not clarify. It is definitely the front driver's side.
Try checking if all the bolts are tightened. I had a similar noise on my girlfriend Civic. It was the passenger side. I checked the rear shock and the top bolt was loose. Just had to tighten it and it went away

·
Registered
596 Posts
Are you able to replicate the sound when the car is parked by pressing down on the corners of the car to bounce the suspension? I had a similar situation that took me forever to nail down, and I only really figured it out by bouncing the car around in the garage to dial in on it. I was eventually able to place my hand on the part making the noise and feel the vibrations from it squeaking. In my case it was that I actually had something tightened too much, the spot where the rear control arm bolts to the wheel hub assembly was pinching and causing undue friction and noise during suspension travel. I ended up loosening it up, spraying every surface with white lithium grease, and properly torqueing the bolt when I was done.

·
Registered
525 Posts
If it's coming from a door, I would open the door panel and inspect in there. It does sound like a bolt is loose under there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to check the 3 mounting bolts on the top of the strut assembly. I tried to push up and down on my car but wasn't able to replicate the sound. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm going to check the 3 mounting bolts on the top of the strut assembly. I tried to push up and down on my car but wasn't able to replicate the sound. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the tips!
I think this might be my issue:

I was able to push down hard enough to get it to bounce a little while my girlfriend filmed. I guess I need to tighten this axle nut? I was going to buy a set of open/pass through sockets. Anyone know the torque of that nut? I am also going to try to make sure the three top mounting nuts on each strut are each at 33 foot pounds.

Note: The strut assemblies I installed a year ago are KYB SR4241 and SR4242

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I removed the driver's side windshield wiper, then removed the side plastic cowl cover piece, then I tightened the top center bolt as much as I could. So far so good! The rattle/squeak is gone!

Here are some of the tools I used:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2008 Civic LX automatic sedan with 109,000 miles. For the last couple of months I have had a rattling squeaky sound when I drive slow over bumps. It sounds like something is loose. About a year ago I installed new strut assemblies on both sides. Three months ago I changed the cv axles and axle seals, and a month ago I changed the front brake calipers and brake pads. The sound is coming from the front driver's side when I drive on uneven areas where the car bounces a little. Here are two videos (sorry my keys jingle a little). If anyone has any ideas of what it could be, let me know, thanks!

Replace the bumper stops for both front struts. That will fix it it fixed mine. Hated that noise now I dint have to anymore

·
Registered
4 Posts
Since the time I had my Tein H-Tech springs and tokico blues introduced, i've been getting minor squeaking sounds when driving gradually over knocks. It happens just for a smidgen when the vehicle is as yet cold. Whenever I've been driving for a little while, the sounds vanish totally.
Showbox

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I did my stuts I got the quickstrut because it had all new hardware with it, ie bearings on the top. Lots of people replace struts but not the top bearing and get noise from the old bearing. Otherwise, it kinda sounds like your LCA bushings. I take my car to a shop every 6 months so they can do an inspection and see if the LCA bushings (and others) are still good.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I did my stuts I got the quickstrut because it had all new hardware with it, ie bearings on the top. Lots of people replace struts but not the top bearing and get noise from the old bearing. Otherwise, it kinda sounds like your LCA bushings. I take my car to a shop every 6 months so they can do an inspection and see if the LCA bushings (and others) are still good.
My struts were the complete strut assemblies (KYB strut assemblies SR4241 and SR4242). So I think that top nut should have already been tightened to spec. I haven't had any issues with the passenger side strut assembly, just the driver's side. But since I tightened that top center nut two weeks ago, it hasn't been squeaking. Maybe someone at the KYB factory forgot to tighten the one for my driver's side?

·
Registered
21 Posts
My struts were the complete strut assemblies (KYB strut assemblies SR4241 and SR4242). So I think that top nut should have already been tightened to spec. I haven't had any issues with the passenger side strut assembly, just the driver's side. But since I tightened that top center nut two weeks ago, it hasn't been squeaking. Maybe someone at the KYB factory forgot to tighten the one for my driver's side?
Happy for ya .how ever the Bumper stops are purchased seperate, in other words, NOT in INCLUDED. Also there is aTSB on this repair if you want to fix it. You cod have saved slot of money by replacing the Bumper stops 1st instead of all that money on the struts that didn't fix it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts