8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking to buy a Honda Prelude...Help?

I've done my share of research on the Prelude and since I'm in the market to buy my first car, I figured this would be a nice starter car. I'm looking for used and I might hold off on anything I would try to add to the car, performance or visually until I have the right amount of money cause the car will take everything outta me.

I don't want anything older then a 4th gen (1992) and I'm still learning to drive a Manual but I've never actually driven it...I've been reading up and watching videos and it really doesn't seem that difficult. But I assume i could test drive a car and learn that way cause I don't want to drive a friends cars cause its a burden if something goes wrong.

Anyway, I've been searching used Preludes online and want something under $10,000 and there are a few nice ones but with way too many miles on it, like 100k+ and some close to 200k even! I don't want to get a care that used cause I feel it could have problems or will get problems and I don't want to have to replace the motor.

Other then that, thats pretty much what I'm searching for so hopefully you guys can help me out so I can roll into Oklahoma City. :wavey:

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
well im not much a a fan of the prelude, my si had many of problems with the b20 engine.. if i was you i would look for a nice un modded integra gsr 2001 or something on those line..
the prelude in my eyes is very outdated looking.

for around 13k you could find a type r integra and you would have lots of fun with that

·
Registered
249 Posts
the prelude is a great car and yes i do agree that it can look outdated. I would learn how to drive a stick good first. find a friend or family member..but get r done. Last thing you need is to ruin the clutch or drivetrain cause your grinding the gears and mis shifting ect. As for the type r integra thats gonna cost you more than 10 grand which you stated is your budget..and idont know about the east coast..but here on the west coast people LOVE to steal gsr's and type r's. Dont let that scare ya..its just a point...on autotrader i found 69 listings for 1994-2001 prelude manual under 100k..so there out there..maybe 99-2000 civic si is another good choice..also maybe nissan 240 sx..those can be found too..though youll have to look alittle harder...as for as having prablems with the b20..Im sure that wont be prablem for the last gen preludes cause they use the reliable h22 inline 4.:thumb: Goodluck

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'd look into insurance costs too. I can imagine insurance would be expensive on both the prelude and the type-R.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes^^ insurance is also a big concern...I wasnt sure if a Prelude would have large insurance costs or not. I hadn't checked that yet.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yes^^ insurance is also a big concern...I wasnt sure if a Prelude would have large insurance costs or not. I hadn't checked that yet.
Yeah, my buddy was looking at getting a prelude until he found out about insurance costs. He ended up getting an Acura CL instead. Prelude insurance is pretty high.

·
Registered
368 Posts
i dont see how the last model prelude looks out dated i think it looks very sexy but yeah for the money get a teggy and if u can get a 4door that would be even nicer

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
why would u think a prelude's insurance is high?

its a 4cyl 2 door coupe.. not like its turbocharged or anything..

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
if its your first car im assuming your young around 15-17. Insurance is gonna be high.
My si is 280 a month full coverage.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
if its your first car im assuming your young around 15-17. Insurance is gonna be high.
My si is 280 a month full coverage.
wow... how old are you??? and who u go through?

i pay $96 a month full coverage with only a $100 deductible through USAA and im only 22

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
I'd look for a 97+ Type SH with the H22A(4?) and the ATTS (Active Torque Transfer System).

Might be a hard find, I was looking sometime back and could not find one in the spec I was looking for, bought something else, then ended up, literally, finding one for sale about 10 houses down from me in my own neighborhood! Humbug.

Asking price on 5th gen Preludes seems to be rediculously high IMHO. High miles, on the other hand, is to be expected for a car that is 7-10 years old. I did find a few Type SH on Autotrader with miles under 60K and price under $10K, but those are the exception, rather than the rule, and, you'd have to travel or have shipped. Finding local deals will be problematic.

Another option might be an EP3. Somewhat rare under $10K, but there are some on autotrader, and times are tough, with dealers and private seller willing to deal. You'd get a much newer vehicle.

99-00 Civic Si's are peachy, but expensive, costly to insure (again, depending on your insurance company) and are theft magnets.

·
Registered
22 Posts
well, as an owner i feel obliged to help you with this. man, no one appriciates prelude's on civic forums. :/ if you are serious about buying one i'd go 4th gen ONLY if it has a h22 in it, unless you plan on boosting in which case the h23(si) is perfectly fine. if you go 5th gen(97-01) opt for a base model( atts craps out at about 250HP and becomes dead weight) it also has stronger tranny and it's lighter. cheaper too! my twelve yr old lude keeps up with brand new civic si's and all i've got is exhaust. you have any questions just pm man, i'll help you out, hell, if your still looking for one i'll sell ya mine.

·
Registered
289 Posts
i loved all 3 of my Preludes, it was a sad day when they stopped Production. also Preludes are a hard car to find because no one gets rid of them. if you do buy one my 96 was the **** after that it gets tricky but still a good car...

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
wow... how old are you??? and who u go through?

i pay $96 a month full coverage with only a $100 deductible through USAA and im only 22
duddeee, how is USAA service? cuz im 23 with a CLEAN driving record and i pay 210/month w/ progressive. do u drive an si?

and OP, i think the last gen prelude is HOTTTTT.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
duddeee, how is USAA service? cuz im 23 with a CLEAN driving record and i pay 210/month w/ progressive. do u drive an si?

and OP, i think the last gen prelude is HOTTTTT.
yes i have an si... and usaa is great..

i think you have to be military to get insured by them though...

i now pay $146 a month for my si and my wifes 98 integra.. full coverage with $100 deductibles.. im 22 years old

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I've done my share of research on the Prelude and since I'm in the market to buy my first car, I figured this would be a nice starter car. I'm looking for used and I might hold off on anything I would try to add to the car, performance or visually until I have the right amount of money cause the car will take everything outta me.

I don't want anything older then a 4th gen (1992) and I'm still learning to drive a Manual but I've never actually driven it...I've been reading up and watching videos and it really doesn't seem that difficult. But I assume i could test drive a car and learn that way cause I don't want to drive a friends cars cause its a burden if something goes wrong.

Anyway, I've been searching used Preludes online and want something under $10,000 and there are a few nice ones but with way too many miles on it, like 100k+ and some close to 200k even! I don't want to get a care that used cause I feel it could have problems or will get problems and I don't want to have to replace the motor.

Other then that, thats pretty much what I'm searching for so hopefully you guys can help me out so I can roll into Oklahoma City. :wavey:
vimean just recently sold one:pat:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts