8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Has a lightened flywheel caused misfire code on your 8th Gen?

• Yes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As stated, I am looking for confirmation if a lighter than stock flywheel will cause a misfire code on an 8th Gen Si

I seems strange to me but it is clearly stated as such on K-SeriesParts website and they restated the same to me again on the phone today. The only fix is stated as a FlashPro to turn this off permanently.

From my own research, I can find evidence of this happening on 9th gen and newer but nothing I have found states if the 8th gen Si has the same issue.

The reason for asking in the first place is that I am at ~145Kmiles and the clutch has definitely started slipping and needs to be replaced. It is still drivable right now but for how long. I would like to buy a complete kit with a flywheel and everything else and be done. I expect that the stock flywheel wont be in the greatest shape and buying another oem on is $$$. Unfortunately, locally I am not having luck finding a shop willing/able to resurface the original

·
Registered
172 Posts
I was in the same scenario with machining and the oem flywheel cost. A real machine shop can do a stepped flywheel but i wanted to do everything at one time so i bought a fidanza flywheel and an oem exedy. No misfires. Definitely lost low end at stop lights which makes it a little difficult to take off. I have around 20k on this setup. Flywheel is around $180-200. I have a 2006 no idea why you would get misfires.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know the 9th gen will misfire with a light flywheel. But haven't heard anything about the 8th gen

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At this point I am committed so I will find out soon enough. I've got the Exedy Stage 1 and Comp Clutch 11.5lbs steel flywheel. I purposely went with a heavier one just in case and because I am not a fan of dailying a super light flywheel. Going to replace the CMC and CSC while I am at it to completely remove the delay valving. Hoping that will give me a pedal that is not completely numb

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like it. It is noticeable that I have a lighter flywheel but the change isn't too dramatic. I would describe it as this is what the car should have felt like stock. I don't feel like I have to keep engine speed up to get moving and it feels like the stock tuning was meant for something just slightly lighter than the stock flywheel. I have not done any tuning or turned off the "rev hang" and I was caught of guard at first with how quickly the revs came down. At the same time it feels more willing to rev. Again, the difference is not dramatic and that is what I was after as this is my daily.

I still need to take care of the CMC and CSC but winter reappear. I am a spoiled desert rat so I will have to wait till it warms up again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As stated, I am looking for confirmation if a lighter than stock flywheel will cause a misfire code on an 8th Gen Si

I seems strange to me but it is clearly stated as such on K-SeriesParts website and they restated the same to me again on the phone today. The only fix is stated as a FlashPro to turn this off permanently.

From my own research, I can find evidence of this happening on 9th gen and newer but nothing I have found states if the 8th gen Si has the same issue.

The reason for asking in the first place is that I am at ~145Kmiles and the clutch has definitely started slipping and needs to be replaced. It is still drivable right now but for how long. I would like to buy a complete kit with a flywheel and everything else and be done. I expect that the stock flywheel wont be in the greatest shape and buying another oem on is $$$. Unfortunately, locally I am not having luck finding a shop willing/able to resurface the original
Find a Diesel repair shop or dealer (semi trucks) most have flywheel machines at least the 3 dealerships I know of locally have one

1 - 9 of 9 Posts