8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a Double Din...doesn't necessarily require Navigation, but would be nice.

Right now I have a Pioneer 4000DVD.

The new one must be better for Audio...tweaking.
Be nice to have custom graphics in background.
Easy iPod interface like the 4000DVD unit, but preferably shows album art.

Not sure what else is new and a must have out there.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Kenwood 8120

Built-in DSP...check
Ipod...check
Navi...check
Bluetooth...check
Custom Graphics...check

Let me know if your interested

·
Registered
464 Posts
check out the alpine w900, I upgraded from w505 to that. Has album art with ipod connection. Its pretty nice and the built in navi is great too.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I have the Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD and I HIGHLY reccommend it. But it also depends on what you're wanting. The Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT is a killer uint as well, with everything on it. Really it just depends on your budget, and your needs. If you don't want bluetooth or navi, or don't know if you want navi or not then I truely think that the P4200 is the best option. If you want all the bells and whistles then the Z110 is the best! At least that's my opinion.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love the 4000, but I want a better EQ, custom graphics ( i can live w/o it) and a better iPod controller. I want to be able to search via the HU...not scroll forever and forever until I find it.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
audio build and tuning flexibility: Alpine

wallpaper change: whatever works

good iPod integration w/ album art: Alpine

an Alpine W900 will do all the good stuff, it gives you navi, but you cant change wallpapers

if you dont want navi out-of-the-box and want the changible wallpapers, a W505 would do great, either way, you add the PXA-H100 and youve got alot of sound tuning options

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I love the 4000, but I want a better EQ, custom graphics ( i can live w/o it) and a better iPod controller. I want to be able to search via the HU...not scroll forever and forever until I find it.
I'm a huge IPOD fan and I can tell you scrolling with the 4200 is easy as sin! It's sweet! I'm not sure on the eq cause i have a Bit One outboard Processor but the graphics are pretty good, dvd's look great, and I like the all around capabilities of it. And if i want navi in the future I can get the module and it's done. Bypass is simple too with a relay.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Avic-Z110BT- Pioneer..

It doesn't give you a Background necessarily, but it allows you to add any image you want for a custom splash screen.

I read reviews upon reviews of In-Dash Navigation units... I went and played with all the Kenwood 7xxx+8xxx etc and they were okay, but the iPod integration was terrible and slow.. I played with Alpine and it was "Okay", but it had great options for audio.. I then came across a Pioneer Avic-Z110BT.. I fell in love with it instantly.. the BEST ipod integration.. Awesome sound options, pretty good navigation (Kenwood has a better navi than pioneer) and options beyond options.. The audio options are great and prob just as good as Alpine..

I would seriously consider the Z110BT.. also it's getting an update soon that will make it even better.. It will have integration with Pandora App and all kinds of interface improvements.. Plus, you can get a killer deal on them now, the new one coming out z120bt is the SAME thing, just with the updated software already installed.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've tried getting the $650 deal from al-eds.com where it is $850 and you get the $200MIR, but couldn't find it in their site anymore.

Kinda iffy trying to get it through 6ave on amazon....actually right now amazon doesn't have ANY for sale.

I do think I want this Avic though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've tried getting the $650 deal from al-eds.com where it is $850 and you get the $200MIR, but couldn't find it in their site anymore.

Kinda iffy trying to get it through 6ave on amazon....actually right now amazon doesn't have ANY for sale.

I do think I want this Avic though.
goto avic411.com and goto the general forum for the z110bt they have a thread with all the deals on there..

Did I mention that this thing is blazing fast? It boots up quick and all controls are fast and smooth.. The only thing I would say thats a disappointment is the navigation is a bit rough to use, it works great, but certain things piss me off about it.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
The audio options are great and prob just as good as Alpine...
out-of-the-box the Pioneer has more tuning flexibility than the Alpines, but with a simple addition of the Imprint processor (PXA-H100) neither Pioneer nor Kenwood can touch it

as for speed, im willing to bet my W900 boots up faster than a Z110, and I know that I can scroll through my music-packed DL-DVDs faster on an Alpine than a Pioneer

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
^^ always a good thing to know, but if one is looking to upgrade from a 500 dollar unit im sure they realize that the money is going to be big

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I can get the Avic for under $750 after MIR I'd go with that.

Not really feeling Clarion, Kenwood etc.

My first H/U was an Alpine and it worked flawlessly.

I've owned several Pioneer units ever since I got ahold of the 860MP from 2004 or so.

Alpine or Pioneer, no biggie, but I like this new Avic over the Alpine.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was thinking last night...and am I right to say that in 2-3 years the GPS will be outdated on ANY in-dash I get?

I mean obviously they can still work, but new POI and roads will not be available after a certain time with ANY navi deck, right?

If so, I may not need to concentrate entirely on getting a GPS unit since I have it on my cell phone and don't use it a whole lot. The MSN thing for gas prices and other things seems cool, but I would not be paying monthly for that...and it will be non-existant soon.

I want to buy a unit I can use and not worry about having to upgrade just because of the maps.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I went with the Pioneer - AVHp4100dvd and I love it.

My buddy dropped $1,200 (after tax CDN) on his Kenwood less than a year ago and the thing is a slow POS, IMO. Takes forever to turn on, fast forwadring is a joke and the touch response in horrible. Another friend bought the same unit and it's the same thing but he got it for almost 50% off becuase he worked there but I still hate it.

There is the 8XX model like this one : LINK

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I love my AVH-P3100DVD. Great unit. The AVH-P4100DVD is very nice as well, but I'm not big on motorized flip down head units... one more thing to break.

The new models for this year are the AVH-P3200DVD and AVH-P4200DVD. Pretty much the same, with a few changes (3 sets for RCAs on the P3200 where as the P3100 only had 2, for instance)

If you want video, but aren't looking for nav, to me its a no brainer - go with one of these units. You'll save a lot of money, and get a solid, well built head unit that performs well and sounds decent. If you're only interested in listening to music, they offer the FH-P8000BT / FH-P800BT, which would be your cheapest option.

The only other mainstream brand I can recommend is Alpine. However, all their Double Din stuff is priced much higher than the Pioneer. They don't really offer anything to compete with those lower-priced Pioneer units.

Hans

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was thinking last night...and am I right to say that in 2-3 years the GPS will be outdated on ANY in-dash I get?

I mean obviously they can still work, but new POI and roads will not be available after a certain time with ANY navi deck, right?

If so, I may not need to concentrate entirely on getting a GPS unit since I have it on my cell phone and don't use it a whole lot. The MSN thing for gas prices and other things seems cool, but I would not be paying monthly for that...and it will be non-existant soon.

I want to buy a unit I can use and not worry about having to upgrade just because of the maps.
Pioneer updates their maps once a year, so you should be set in that aspect.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pioneer updates their maps once a year, so you should be set in that aspect.
For how long though? Let's say I get the Z110BT today...when 2014 rolls around am I good?

So when the Z3 came out, whenever, are they still providing updates for 2010 maps? And if so, there is a price to be paid correct?

Sounds like the DVD player/iPod/CD/XM/FM/AM unit is the best bet, which I currently have.

Now to see how the 2010 models are better than my Pioneer AVH-4000DVD. :wigglesmiley:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts