8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone! Hopefully this post isn't breaking any rules. My apologies in advance if it does.
I am currently looking at buying a 2019 Civic Si and just wanted to get some reviews / opinions from people that actually own this gen of civic.
This will be my first manual transmission car. My current lemon is a Mitsubishi Ralliart with the tc-sst so while it doesn't have a clutch pedal it's really just made me want to learn to drive a proper manual. Not only is shifting yourself so much more fun, a manual trans won't cost me 21k to replace unlike these dct / cvt transmissions.
This car would be my DD, a mix of highway and city driving, roughly 100km total / day. I also live in Canada so we get some crazy winter weather and the highway's get pretty miserable. Any info on how the Si handles snow would be great.
What are some of the pro's / con's of owning a Civic Si? What's the reliability like? Any hidden maintenance costs I should be aware of? What are the general maintenance costs like? I have ptsd after being abused by Mitsu and their 1100$ tranny flushes and 4000$ type 4 evo services so I'm hoping the Si is somewhat cheaper to maintain lol. For reference I was paying nearly 7k a year to maintain my Ralliart and it still died at 122,000km.
I'll take all the info this sub has to offer! Thanks in advance everyone.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
well first of all this is a 8th GEN forum. LOL you need to ask your question in a 10th GEN forums. Hondas are hondas man they are as reliable as you make them honestly. UM you can still mess up your transmission as you know you will have a clutch. IF this is your first car you will be stalling bucking etc all the perks of learning manual. Once you get it down then you will be GUCCI. Your in Canada you realize its a FWD car right. you really should have a AWD car for you bad months and this would be for your warmer months. I would not dare drive a FWD car in extreme snow like you can get. Overall worth the money of course but the snow is a issue for sure and for your first manual hondas cars are forgiving for sure but dont expect this to preform in your snowy climate. Hondas in general are not expensive to own btw and any mod you want is made for them. Looking for 700whp you can do it camber monster you can do it slow and steady you can do it. First thing is first learn how to drive the car first and i would even say get most of the car paid off before you go modding it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Personally if I were you, I'd spend the extra $5k and get a WRX living in Canada. Engine is much easier to replace, also the clutch and the transmission due to it being a longitudinal engine/transmission design(flywheel facing rear of vehicle). Most people can swap a subaru motor in 3-4 hours.

Also, plenty of people sell brand spanking new Subaru short blocks for $2k.

Minor work is the same as most other economy cars, but major work on subaru's is easy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts