8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this week I finally sold my first car, my 96 200SX SE-R. Good times in that car, but I've had no need for it for the last few years, time to let it go. Got 3 grand for it, a bit over bluebook. So now im about to buy an old truck for somewhere around that price, but I can go up or down some depending on the truck.

I'm leaning towards an 85-95 Toyota pickup, one with the fuel injected 22RE, those engines are extremely reliable, and I can deal with the lack of power. I'm not looking to tow anything, just load my quads up and get to the desert without spending a fortune on gas, hence the 4 banger.

Also considering another Nissan, probably the regular old 96-97 Hardbody pickup. Those are easy to come by, pretty reliable, and can be found for under 2 grand if you shop around. What do you guys think? Anyone ever owned one of these?

·
Registered
385 Posts
my dad just bought a 2004 Toyata Tacoma, its working out pretty well more as a people mover than a stuff hauler, but the bed is big enough for anything reasonable.

doesnt drive too bad either considering it has huge tires on it.
has right angle ironing board seats though, not comfortable at all.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have heard these trucks rot to ****. Stories of them being put on hoists and literally falling in half because of the rot

I would strongly suggest a S10

The 2.4 is a good engine, and they are solid trucks. The 4.3 is near indestructable, solid engine if you dont mind paying for the gas!

If you can get a cheap f-150 there is another solid truck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have heard these trucks rot to ****. Stories of them being put on hoists and literally falling in half because of the rot
I have seen this first hand on a couple early eighty's Toyota's. Frame rots out behind cab, truck breaks in half. Definitely do or have done a good inspection before purchasing one. If you can find one thats been taken care of, they are awesome little trucks.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Ford Rangers aren't bad either, look for one with the 3.0 V6 since they're pretty much indestructible, but the twin I beam suspension is rubbish.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^ I always kinda liked those old ass b-series'. Can't find many on Craigslist though

I would strongly suggest a S10

The 2.4 is a good engine, and they are solid trucks. The 4.3 is near indestructable, solid engine if you dont mind paying for the gas!
I love the S10's, but they always ranked laughably bad in reliability. great looking truck IMO, but you used to see em all the time and now suddenly they're rare. didn't pass the test of time.

I'm not too worried about rust, I live in CA, and hopefully the truck I buy will be from CA too.

·
Registered
906 Posts
^ I always kinda liked those old ass b-series'. Can't find many on Craigslist though

I love the S10's, but they always ranked laughably bad in reliability. great looking truck IMO, but you used to see em all the time and now suddenly they're rare. didn't pass the test of time.

I'm not too worried about rust, I live in CA, and hopefully the truck I buy will be from CA too.
I see the complete opposite. A lot of S10s, never see and old import trucks.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Personally, I'd go with the Toyota or Nissan. Both are great trucks.

I've owned an S10 before with the 4.3. I have to say that it was the biggest turd on 4 wheels I've ever owned. EVERYTHING broke on that truck. I'm pretty sure that Mattel makes all of the plastic for that truck and MG did all of the wiring. It's because of that truck that I've never owned another American car.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I had a '94 Nissan with 125k miles on it and only $500 of repairs EVER done to it up 'til someone turned in front of me three years ago. I was going to have that truck for ten more years...

Nissan 4-banger FTW, as long as they have had regular maintenance...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts