8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I DD my si, don't want to go F.I., but what kind of mileage can you get out of upgrading the internals? ie...springs, valves, retainers, port n polish, etc? Thank you for any insight.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Valve springs, retainers, valves PnP, are only necessary if you are getting stage2+ cams.

Stage 2 cams should work fine for ages with a good tune, Stage 3+ cams is where you might run into longterm issues.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Valve springs, retainers, valves PnP, are only necessary if you are getting stage2+ cams.

Stage 2 cams should work fine for ages with a good tune, Stage 3+ cams is where you might run into longterm issues.
:yeahthat: Good info

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thank you, what would be considered stage 2? Different companies call their stuff different things...ie...skunk, go-power etc...

·
Banned
6,259 Posts
I think most companies' stage 2 cams are created with the same general power goals in mind. While "stage 2" itself does not mean anything technically, I've always thought of it like this:

Stage 1: Mild cams. Something of little more value than TSX cams but retain full driveability.

Stage2: Street oriented aggressive cams. More aggressive than some people want in a daily driver, but definitely still usable in daily driving. Should upgrade valvetrain.

Stage 3+: Race cams. Too aggressive to use practically on the street. Should be used with fully built motors.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
with the setup i/h/e + stage 2 cams and tsx tb with portmatch you will get max 310mi on 1 tank of gas.

completely stock I got 350...so just expect to lose about 40-50 miles per tank.

Tuning is the key to maximize your MPG, when I had a bad tune I got max 250mi on a tank, it made less power too.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I wouldnt say that.

A lot of stage 2 people will see an increase in MPG if they use low throttle, just do to the increase in power.

MPG is all based in the tune, a well tuned car can easily match the stock MPG figures.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts