8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, I’ve done a lot of searching. I’m having trouble finding an issue related to all gears. Not just 2nd and 3rd. I have an FA5. Above about 6k in every single gear, I’m having this shitty lockout. It let’s me out of the gear I’m in and as I try to proceed into the next, it just hits a wall and leaves me stranded in neutral for a couple of seconds. I’m a fairly new manual driver, but I’ve been doing well. I’m 99% sure that I have the clutch pushed far enough in. I’ve done the simple CMC/pedal adjustment. Assuming I’ve done it correctly, I can only imagine that either I’ve got an internal trans problem,(loose FW/PP bolt, worn clutch, etc.) or maybe the cables are stretched out??? Regardless, I’m changing the MTF to the Amsoil Synchromesh stuff. I’ve heard good things and somewhat bad... mostly good. I doubt this would fix the lockout issue unless I’m seriously low/high or the fluid is just old junk. I’m not insanely mechanically advanced and this is my first manual car. So any help would be appreciated.
On top of the lockouts, I have an occasional pop out of third gear. Along with the usual 2nd-3rd gear notchiness. And 6th gear is quite stubborn majority if the time. It can be difficult to get into.

EDIT:
Today, I switched over to Amsoil’s MTF. I was very surprised to feel how much smoother the shifts have become. Sadly, the lockout problem persists. Any help at all would be great.

·
Registered
23 Posts
the adjustment and mtf change should have helped for the most part... check the clutch master fluid reservoir. also 8th gens have a delay valve in the master and slave which really makes for a slow shift. you could assume the cables stretching out would make a difference combined with wear of every other adjacent component, i like to think this is why the stock cmc fails so much on these cars.
I went through this problem when i was learning to drive manual on my si, and thought it was me being a bad driver but then i threw parts at the car like shifter bushings, em1 cmc and slave upgrade, mugen quickshifter, new fluids etc. the problem went away.
The same thing happened to an Si I helped a friend buy, it would not go into 1st unless you double clutched (like wut??) or WOT shift into 2nd under any circumstance. Did the same upgrade on his car as I did on mine (minus the quickshifter) and they both are super solid now

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just get the Hybrid or hardmotion cmc and slave kit. I had that lockout on my 07, once i switched it to the hybrid racing kit it went away. Its essentially just an em1 cmc and slave.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Weirdly, I'm having the same problem. I got into a race with a slightly modded GTI, I ground on 5th but it went in. After that it was almost impossible to get in to any gear...until (what I believe) the transmission cooled down? Behaved normally after calm driving....Doesn't seem right. I've got a exedy stage 1 clutch with lightened flywheel installed about 2 years ago. Not sure if it's a clutch, trans/synchro issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Jayro I’m leaning towards the CMC for both of us. I’m getting the kit with the slave so I’ll keep this thread updated on it. @stvn.00 I’m thinking about K tuned’s kit. Anybody have a reason for one brand over the other? I’ve read that the CMC and SMC are practically the same for all brands and that the quality of the line is what differs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
@Jayro I’m leaning towards the CMC for both of us. I’m getting the kit with the slave so I’ll keep this thread updated on it. @stvn.00 I’m thinking about K tuned’s kit. Anybody have a reason for one brand over the other? I’ve read that the CMC and SMC are practically the same for all brands and that the quality of the line is what differs.
I saw some pictures of both hybrid racing and the ktuned kit, I simply went with hybrid racing one because it is just a reman'd oem unit, the ktuned one is a 3rd party design. its a tedious install, but with a friend its pretty manageable. Do read instructions thoroughly, if you dont switch out parts from your old cmc you will be sad in many ways!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up getting the Hybrid Racing kit with the braided line and the Slave included. I got the linkage and base bushings too because I want to get this entire transmission situation feeling better than it should. The cmc/slave should be here soon. A couple of questions I still have:

When bleeding the clutch system, I would use DOT 3 brake fluid, correct? Just a simple Prestone should do, I’d assume. If anyone suggests differently, I’d love to hear it.

Also, incase the cmc clears up some issues and shows the clutch’s flaws itself, what’s a good way to know if my clutch is an issue? With this being the only manual I’ve driven, I don’t know what it’s supposed to feel like. I guess I’ve been fooled into thinking it’s really this difficult to drive smoothly, when really I’m having some mechanical issues lol. I appreciate the help guys

·
Registered
347 Posts
Could be ur clutch is on the way out or the throwout bearing. If you adjust the pedal so it catches higher and higher every time u do it, its a sign of a bad throwout bearing.

·
Registered
633 Posts
So I installed the Hard Motion kit.
First off my old kit was filled with what I believe was rust, or just incredibly dirty...came from both the master and slave but the line was somewhat clean. In any event, the car is a completely different animal now. Reacts instantly to shifting with not a hint of lockout. I did swap the rod from the OEM unit and adjusted the pedal travel to exactly 2 threads from the top stopper.
The combination of the bad fluid and pressure plate in the OEM unit was certainly to blame....its a new car again! (y)(y)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Jayro Sweet brother, glad you got it figured out. The HR kit should be here within the next couple of weeks and I’m starting to hear my cmc creaking when pressing on the clutch. Checked the pedal itself and I’ve seen no cracks. Good timing, I guess

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yeah man... good luck on the install. If you're patient with the clutch and lines you can pull the whole thing out without the need to drain it and separate out.
Other than that the only other issue I had was trying to angle the new CMC in behind the wheel well...took a bit

1 - 13 of 13 Posts