8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got a 2006 lx coupe (certified used honda) and realized it does not have the key to the locking lug nuts. although the dealer said they would "resolve" the problem i am curious as to how a tire shop would remove it.
was that an option available from honda? would the dealer have a key? or break it off?
woondering.....:xyxnervou

·
Registered
97 Posts
They sell the lug offs at Sears and the Gator grip which works for some I have tried both and ended up with a scratch wheel the gator grip didn't even come close to working for me.

·
Registered
929 Posts
The dealer has a key to get them off... every time I take my car in for service they manage to get my wheels off without me telling them where my key is.

·
Administrator
71,986 Posts
the dealerships have the whole set in a nice box and they are all color coated.

yeah you can take it there to get it off, and then just buy a new set off ebay or something. make sure you have regular ones to put in their place.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
solo2eg and 0720steve, are guys serious? because i was going to go to the tire place that i go (mom and pop, they KNOW me) instead of the dealer. dont you guys worry if you get a flat and don't have the key?

·
Administrator
71,986 Posts
i have no idea what you mean....

the dealers have a set of all 8-12 or how ever many keys there are.

go there and have them take it off, you might bring your own iron and borrow your key for 5 minutes.

then go get a whole new set. or you can order the key if you find out which color it is.

·
Administrator
71,986 Posts
i meant why DONT they give us the key. lol. how do i find out the color?
i still have no idea what you mean. they won't just give it to you. they can sell you the one you had, you'll probably have to order it.

go to the dealership, they'll bust out the master set and slap them on until they find out which one you have. once they figure out which key you had, they order another one of those for you.

but it would be about the same price to order a whole new set of lock lugs with a new key off ebay vs. ordering just the new key, but then you need to figure out how to get them off. i think i just pounded a 3/4 socket on there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts