8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I orginally posted this at the bottom of my 'New Si' thread. But is is probably better as its own topic. Sorry for any repeats.

Got out to the Motorsports track today. Not so good that a Corvette Club had the rally track taken for the whole day, but I was able to get on the Flat top Auto-X course.

Given the car is still pretty low miles and I would like a bit more break-in time, I put it through the course a lot more mild than usual. Also, I still don't have new tires and better rubber, so it was a slide-o-rama with the all-seasons on!!

Given the tires were not great, handling was otherwise good, with limited body roll (for a stock car) and good suspension characteristics. Pulling through and out of corners was a blast with the LSD doing great duty in this area. I have driven a friends RSX-S with aftermarket LSD and the helical unit on the Si does a much better job than the Viscous limited slip that he had with a better positive feel, engagement, and power transfer to the correct wheel. The car could certainly benefit from a bit of lowering and more agressive spring rates, though the stock setup is pretty decent and course feel was good.

Steering took a few runs to get used to. Tactile feedback is nearly non-existant, and through the first few runs I had a tendency to oversteer due to the easy and tighter steering ratio on the car, with at least two plow spins on deep loop corners right after a short straight (the rotten all-seasons contributed to that as well, heh)

As far as the DBW, I have had a few weeks to get used to some of its foibles and feel fairly confident with it. The 2 second rev hang did pose some issues on a few turns, but I suppose I will get used to it. (I don't notice it on the street except at very low speeds anymore) I don't really notice any throttle lag, however, that might be me getting used to the throttle over the last few weeks.

On the power side it is hard to give a comment as I was not engaging the 6K+ range for the course. The few times I played around in that range power delivery was good for the short bursts needed on the limited length straights. Overall, it will be a very different game with lighter wheels, good rubber, and more agressive RPM usage.

Gear shifting was positive (1-2 only really) and I never noticed any shifting issues at all during my 4 runs. Again, with more agressive RPMS and real power output, I'll have to comment more on that later.

So, number 33 ran some light laps today, helping me get an idea of what needs to be changed, reinforcing my plans to get:

Lighter wheels
Stickier rubber
New struts/springs

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few more comments:

Seriously need a new CG-Lock for the next time I take it out. I meant to pick one up before I went out, and of course forgot until I get through the first turn and realize I am about to be flung into the passenger seat. Thank the Honda gods for the big bolsters on the seats. lol.

BTW, it gets a little cramped in there with the helmet on, and the head rest is too far forward. Without the neck brace holding the helmet chin up, I think I would have been staring at my toes :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey, Janizary, I was also wondering about the 2 second rev hang? Is that normal, because I noticed it right when I took mine off the lot? Kinda getting used to it now, but just wanted to make sure!!

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I find it most annoying at low speeds, particularly in parking lots in two situations:

• When letting off the gas to just roll, it holds for a few seconds, and then lets off completely, making for a nice lurch. It does this each time you tap the gas and gets annoying real quick.

• Low speed, rev a bit to get speed, let off clutch to coast...and engine revs up to 3500RPM for a few seconds. This is both annoying, and somewhat embarrasing when people look over at you like you are some foolish kid revving his engine...

Other than that, at speed it is almost not noticable after you've been driving it for a few weeks. Since the Auto-X is much higher revs in 1-2 for the most part, it does take some adjustment on cornering, though heel/toe can be compensated for a bit by the rev hang...barring you need the revs held for more than a few seconds.

Frankly, I hope they just 'fix' it with a new map at some point. Hopefully, if and when Hondata comes out with a reflash they will take care of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts