8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
None!!!

First of all, we are driving on public roads. You have a mountain on one side of you, a big drop on the other side, blind corners, double yellow lines, speed limits, and traffic coming the other way. It is not a race or competition of any kind. You should not be trying to find the limits of your car there. If you follow that guideline, you should not go any faster in a modded Si than in a stock LX. Even if someone does leave you, why worry about it? You'll see them again at the end of the run or when they get behind a slower vehicle.

For example, at the first meet, my nephew brought a bone stock '92 Camry V-6 with over 100k miles on it and he kept up with everyone. As etf told me last night, the most important modification you can make is to the part holding the steering wheel.

Second, you don't need a ton of mods on your car to impress people. It is not a car show. There is only one trophy for the "Coolest 8thCivic" and another one for "Coolest Non-8thCivic" (not sure if that will be the name for it). It is about meeting old and new friends and driving fun. You can do those things in anything you drive. There are always several stock vehicles there and they are just as welcome as everyone else.

If this question ever comes up again, please link the person to this thread.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
What Cook said. The nut behind the wheel is the most important mod for sure. There are locals in pickups that can put many of our drivers to shame because of their skill and familiarity with the road. No matter what your mods you can still drive beyond them if you push yourself too far.

Remember it is still a public road so always leave some 'margin for error' room. It is an unforgiving road as well. If you make a mistake there is not much working for you to aid in recovery or a pleasant collision.

Enjoy yourself but don't drive beyond your skill level. If someone in front of you is faster, let them go. If someone in front of you is slower, don't push them to drive faster. There is generally time to find people who conform to your own general pace so you can do runs in smaller groups at paces you will be able to enjoy.

There is always some playful competition but don't let that ever motivate you to drive beyond your car, yourself, or those around you. Be safe, keep your head, and have fun.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Most of us (the sane ones anyway) weren't even close to really driving at the limit. Often, some of us forgot that we're on public roads in the middle of a run.

With that said, upgraded brakes are a wise upgrade not only for the dragon, but for everyday driving as well. Any car can do 100mph, but how well can it stop?

·
Banned
24,191 Posts
What is the weather like there this time of year?Not like I'll be able to make it this year but I want to catch the 2010 meet.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts