8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
All Liver GSP's!
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I dont know much about this in cars. I know a bunch with trucks and other 4x4's for the rear. How long can we expect our LSD to function well?

I realize we are not attempting to crawl around with one tire off the ground but in my modded B4000 I had basically burned it out after 30,000 miles from some offroad trips. I replaced it with a eaton locker.....

So, after numerous hard accellerations and shifts while turning where the wheels are turning at different speeds and the LSD catches and aids the slow wheel to turn how long can we expect it to last? :sadwavy:

·
Registered
430 Posts
IIRC we run a helical/clutch type which is mechanical in operation as opposed to VLSD that uses fluid that can break down.
Sure you can burn a diff out, but it would probably take some serious abuse and at least 2x stock whp.

·
Registered
549 Posts
The helical type does have the best long term use. I don't know exactly how long it'll take to wear one out, but being made by Honda, I'm going to say it'll probably last as long as the tranny (my GUESS is 300k+... of course this is subject to power and abuse variations...). The reason I say this is because the "breakdown" will eventually come from wearing on metal on metal contact, not liquids or clutch packs.

side note, I used to own a BMW with a clutch pack LSD... those things go out at about 100k (sometimes sooner).

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
LSD are only applied to drive wheels. in the case of an AWD car there maybe upto 3 LSDs (front, center, rear).
my GSX had LSD in the rear from the factory, I ended up swapping out all 3 along with a carbon fiber center drive shaft and stronger axles on the wheels. Between reducing the mass of the axles/drive shafts and running LSD's, the car f'in hooked nicely. Of course, my front axles broke about 2 times until the shop figured out what was the cause..lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.