8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to find some rims that are NOT flashy, but still are lightweight. I'm trying to make a sleeper civic si (2007 sedan), so I wont be doing exhaust or anything that'll make my car scream "Modified"

I like the alloy weels (HPF and non-HPF) but they're heavy. I know there are lightweights out there, but I'm more of an engine guy/engineer guy than an external mods guy.

The color of my SI is the Galaxy Gray with a full underbody spoiler kit.

Some things to note:
NO Black or bling-bling type of tires (so full chrome, bronze, and white is out of the question)
I'd prefer 5 or 6 single spoke or double spoke (like the stock rims)

I may entertain more spokes, but as I stated before, I'm looking for more a "professional/snappy and stock" look rather than a "show off" look.

Any suggestions? (and please link the pictures/website(s) where I can look)

Much appreciated :)

PS: Basically waiting on Kpro to come out, but I have a turbo kit along with pistons/rods pieced/priced out, looking to run at around 12lbs of boost. :)
So for now I'm just doing CAI (not SRI).
:eek:hsnap:

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lightest 18s you'll find would probably the mugen gp. Try looking into Volk Racing as well cause they make some lightweight rims as well.
The mugen site seems to only be in some asian language, and google's results for volk racing seems to not give what I need. Any chance you can give me a link (or 2) for both?

Thanks
(

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Enkei RPF1s. 18x8 weigh 17.8 lbs, which is very light. Plus they don't have the bling rep associated with Volks and other wheels, so they don't get much if any attention.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I have some Gram Lights 57fs in silver on a galaxy gray coupe, and it's pretty understated. Actually, it's borderline stealth. 18x8.5 57f only weighs about 17 or 18 pounds and they're forged so there's strength. If you PM me I'll try to send you a picture when I get home, otherwise you can try to find them on the site. I've posted them once or twice.

The only problem is that Gram Lights, Volks, Advans, Works, are all pretty well known in the import car world, so while you may find something mellow that won't draw the attention of the average fellow, people in the know will zone in on them instantly.

Your other option is to check with Enkei or something similar. They have some relatively inexpensive and lightweight wheels, but they're pretty common so a lot of people have them, even on beaters. This could be good for you because people may take one look at the car, notice only wheels as an external modification, and decide you're not really a modder. Art of War, baby.

What's your budget, anyway?

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I can testify civsnake's adjective of "stealth". They're understated because it's a simple wheel that looks good without being flashy.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
budget is not really too much of a concern on me, but I dont want to be spending 4000 on a set of rims and tires. That would cost as much as my pieced out turbo kit.

So basically, moderately priced. And I'll do price searching too, I just need some stuff to look at. And The gram lights look pretty decent.

What size tires would I be looking for? 225/40R18? (I'm obviously also looking for traction since the turbo kit is uh... going to be a wheel burner)

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
I have some Gram Lights 57fs in silver on a galaxy gray coupe, and it's pretty understated. Actually, it's borderline stealth. 18x8.5 57f only weighs about 17 or 18 pounds and they're forged so there's strength. If you PM me I'll try to send you a picture when I get home, otherwise you can try to find them on the site. I've posted them once or twice.

The only problem is that Gram Lights, Volks, Advans, Works, are all pretty well known in the import car world, so while you may find something mellow that won't draw the attention of the average fellow, people in the know will zone in on them instantly.

Your other option is to check with Enkei or something similar. They have some relatively inexpensive and lightweight wheels, but they're pretty common so a lot of people have them, even on beaters. This could be good for you because people may take one look at the car, notice only wheels as an external modification, and decide you're not really a modder. Art of War, baby.

What's your budget, anyway?
Civsnake - the 57F's we have are only 16.5 lbs each for the 18x8.5 +45. That deal we offered a while back was SO killer I took a set myself from our inventory.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
those look actually pretty decent Z1, so what's the largest tire I could put on there w/o having a huge amount of roll? 225's +40 or +45?

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
those look actually pretty decent Z1, so what's the largest tire I could put on there w/o having a huge amount of roll? 225's +40 or +45?
The 57F's are a very classic, mature looking wheel that is stylish and will always be stylish (not "trendy").

The 18x8.5 +45 is considerably wider than stock while maintaining the OEM offset. Moreso, the inside of the wheels on the rear is getting close to the rear lower control arm. I'd stick with 225/40/18's. They fit perfectly and there are TONS of tires to choose from in this size.

If you car isn't lowered, a drop would look best with these wheels as such low profile tires would look odd on a car with stock ground clearance.

As for roll, I assume you mean the car rolling on it's sidewalls. Body roll is only relative to your suspension and the grip of your tires. Tire sidewall roll is depends on the stiffness of the sidewall and your tires pressure.

225/40/18's have pretty thin sidewalls and would be resistant to roll, especially when stretched onto the 8.5 inch wide wheel.

My ONLY complaint of these 57F's and the 225/40/18's is that the rim protector on my tires is nearly useless when stretched onto these 8.5 inch wide wheels.

While the 225's are still within range for use on the 8.5's (see any tire company's specs) the rim protector is doing nothing. This means you have to be VERY mindful of curbs when parking. I have some very minor rash on my passenger side that would not have occured otherwise.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What about putting in spacers to put in a wider tire? like the ones from http://www.hrsprings.com/products/trak/ ?

If it looks horrid, or looks WAY to wide, then i'd rather not do this. BUT if I can get a 235/40/18 or 235/35/18 (for better traction) you think it would work?

I guess I'm trying to get best of both worlds, performance and still looking stock/classic (if possible)

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
The thing is, why bother getting 18x8.5 if you're only sticking a 225 width tire on it? That's just extra weight. If you're getting Gram Light 57Fs, then I'd get then in 17x8 et46 and put 235 width tires on them. Lighter, wider tread, no need for wheel spacers or fender rolling. If you go 8.5 width and put spacers on, you're guaranteed to need fender rolling.

Also, why 18"? 17 is lighter and offers better performance, and provides a sleeper look.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The thing is, why bother getting 18x8.5 if you're only sticking a 225 width tire on it? That's just extra weight. If you're getting Gram Light 57Fs, then I'd get then in 17x8 et46 and put 235 width tires on them. Lighter, wider tread, no need for wheel spacers or fender rolling. If you go 8.5 width and put spacers on, you're guaranteed to need fender rolling.

Also, why 18"? 17 is lighter and offers better performance, and provides a sleeper look.
I was figuring the 18's with a tire would be lighter than a 17 with a tire (assuming you have a lightweight rim on them)

That, and I was a little worried about roll (sharp cornering type of racing)

While, 1/4 mile will be nice, I'd like to still be able to do cornering.

~Will

·
Registered
2,380 Posts

I agree that 18x8 would have made more sense, but that's not the deal that was available. These wheels work well enough for me and I have no problems with the HFP drop. I don't know what would happen with a wider tire, but you could always give it a shot.

Oh, and Z1 is right about scratching these things. I've got a couple small scratches and one GOOD SIZED one on the front right... stupid In n' Out drive through...

But if you can find the same deal (actually better now) for these wheels I recommend it. I paid $1200, but there were places selling them for $999 shortly after. They look clean and are light as hell. I'm pissed because I can't justify getting rid of these. Sometimes I feel like I would like something a little less subtle, but I can't bring myself to pay for something that's heavier than what I have...

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts

For a 17, the 17X8 +46 is a good size. I have 14.7 inch brakes up front so I wanted 18's (and 18's look better on the FG IMHO). 235's on a 17x8+46 may rub the front on a lowered car, albeit slightly and could be likely dialed out with a bit of camber.

For an 18x8.5 wheel, 16.5 lbs a piece is VERY light and with 225/40/18 needs no spacers or fender rolling. It just fits quite perfectly. This size of the wheel and tire combo is larger, wider and lighter than stock.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
I agree that 18x8 would have made more sense, but that's not the deal that was available. These wheels work well enough for me and I have no problems with the HFP drop. I don't know what would happen with a wider tire, but you could always give it a shot.

Oh, and Z1 is right about scratching these things. I've got a couple small scratches and one GOOD SIZED one on the front right... stupid In n' Out drive through...

But if you can find the same deal (actually better now) for these wheels I recommend it. I paid $1200, but there were places selling them for $999 shortly after. They look clean and are light as hell. I'm pissed because I can't justify getting rid of these. Sometimes I feel like I would like something a little less subtle, but I can't bring myself to pay for something that's heavier than what I have...
Prices dropped shortly after you got your set - I think we were $999.00 at one point as well.

If you ever did want to get rid of them you may be able to get pretty much what you paid for them.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts