8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After installing my HIDs i noticed my headlights were pointing at the ground so i went and adjusted them, the driver side adjusted fine but the passenger side woulndt seem to go very high at all, and yes im positive i was turning it the right way, i just dont understand why when i turn it to go up it just stays in the same spot,
help appreacited thanks!

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
they actually probably wernt pointing at the ground....you just had the hotspots on the ground..your probably using OEM housing (no projecters) so that happens...also once you try and rotate the lights up more theyll just stop when they cant be angled up any further...the solution to your problem? im not really sure what your expecting but point the lights back down so u dont blind people and think about getting projecters. HID's make spots on the ground when put in stock housing, something to get use to.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea man im using stock housing, yea man i really dont know what to do since they wont go up anymore there literally pointing at the ground
So do i need to go in an adjust something in the housing?

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
hm i read some of what u said wrong, i see u adjusted one side, but HID's are misleading like that, ull think theyre pointing at the ground but they really arent theyre bright as hell. anyways make sure the light is totally through the hole in the back of the light housing on the side that wouldnt adjust much.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i think that could be my prob , idk im gonna take it to this shop tomorrow
i was in a wreck awhile ago but i didnt have HIds then
thanks man
ha but im positive they are pointing at the ground cuz i cant see anything in front of me lol

·
Registered
526 Posts
you can check it yourself. the passenger side isnt obstructed by the coolant reservoir so its fairly easy to look with a flashlight

·
Registered
779 Posts
hm i read some of what u said wrong, i see u adjusted one side, but HID's are misleading like that, ull think theyre pointing at the ground but they really arent theyre bright as hell. anyways make sure the light is totally through the hole in the back of the light housing on the side that wouldnt adjust much.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm :wigglesmiley:

hids are regular bulbs just brighter (basically).. they sit a little differently in the housing bc the hid bulb is thinner and longer than an oem bulb.. they have a middle beam just like every other oem headlight bulb..(they do have more glare though.. around the beam) both sides should be aligned at the same height (a given).. it sounds to me like the adjuster might be broken.. put a stock bulb back in and see if you get any movement.. pull your car a few feet back from a wall.. make sure the ground is level

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
aight thanks! its so frustrating i have to roll with my brights on becasue my brights are where my headights should be aimed. lol kinda looks cool

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm :wigglesmiley:

hids are regular bulbs just brighter (basically).. they sit a little differently in the housing bc the hid bulb is thinner and longer than an oem bulb.. they have a middle beam just like every other oem headlight bulb..(they do have more glare though.. around the beam) both sides should be aligned at the same height (a given).. it sounds to me like the adjuster might be broken.. put a stock bulb back in and see if you get any movement.. pull your car a few feet back from a wall.. make sure the ground is level

there's a significant difference between a metal halide high intensity discharge bulb and your standard tungsten halogen bulb.

For starters, in a HID, there is no filament, so the way the light is created, and the pattern it makes is significantly different.

A Halogen bulb uses a tungsten filament enclosed in an envelope of halogen gas, which limits the breakdown of the tungsten into the bulb.

Since a HID uses a plasma to create the light output, the light is radiated in all directions, and not in a specific directions like a halogen light. This is why most HID applications are in a projector, which focuses the dispersed light into a concentrated beam. There are a few reflector based HID housings as well, and they work on a similar principle, using reflective surfaces rather than a convex lens to focus the light.

A Halogen bulbs has "hot spots" because the bulb radiates more intensely in an area parallel to the filament, so at the filament ends there is less light. This is why you have to install halogen bulbs in a certain direction for the housing (and why the H bottom bulbs are keyed). The stock reflectors in the civic are designed with this in mind. As such they focus the "hot" areas into a more concentrated (and yet dispersed) pattern.

This is why PnP HIDs in the stock housing create so much glare. The reflectors aren't designed to handle a dispersed light pattern, nor are they designed to focus such an intense light.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts