8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well

After attending the rained out "Burrito Bowl" meet on Friday night, Oct 26th and driving through the tsunami like weather that evening heading back to MD. And without incident, well that’s until I tried to start my car the following Monday morning. After many failed attempts to start the car and warming the car with blankets and heating lamps thinking the ECU having a “hissy” fit due to the cold weather. So, I take a personal day from work and pushed my car to a parking area in front of my house to allow the sun to heat up the engine bay. Several failed attempts later that afternoon and the assistance of a few friends the car still sits and finally noticed the immobilizer on the dash is flashing green. OK, one thinks that somehow the immobilizer is tripped and lost the key code, so the next logical step would bring someone smarter in the equation. So I ask Blueroadster for help and graciously come to my rescue! With computer in hand and visit to my local Honda dealership to gain access to the “master” code he attempts to help diagnose the issue with the immobilizer and basically get the blue screen of death that reads the immobilizer is non responsive and may need replacing or a short is detected. Once again the car sits while I ponder my next move….. the weekend comes and by this time I get a crazy notion to disconnect the aftermarket ECU harness and start tracing the wire in hopes to find a bad connection. WOW.. that all I can say.. I should have videotaped the amount of water that poured out of the ECU harness. After several hours and a few hair hair-dyers later the ECU connectors and harness are completely dry. The moment of truth.. the car starts on the first try!!!! In conclusion.. make sure you secure the harness on the E-Manangement on the Greddy kits. Due to the fact that I’m ditching my E-Management system in the next week I would take the proper steps to secure the housing area around the harness and ECU. Water and ECU not a good combination!!

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
So it was a PNP E-manage and got water in the clips? Were they not clipped in all the way or somthing?

·
Banned
3,565 Posts
Good to hear that the problem is fixed. :thumb:

Water would not have gotten into the stock ECM since it is sealed.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yah.. They were completely clipped but the way there were sitting and the amount of water that must have splashed caused the water to pool around the harness.
Life lesson learned and currently designing a alumium shield to place below the ECU to prevent this again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts