8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think you guys misunderstood what I was trying to ask last time.

I'm planning on switching to an 18" rim. I know that tire sizes as well as gearing with trannies has an affect on acceleration / top speeds / and whatnot. I race ATV's and this is general knowledge to me as I change gearing and tire heights depending on the track. The question I was asking (and I did do a search but you guys closed the thread before I could repsond) was / is when I change my rim and tire size, what correction needs to be done (if any) so that the speedometer reads correctly? Because I know this will throw off the speedometer.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
click me

this is what you want. as long as you stay same size diameter with tires you'll be fine but if you go with different sizes, use this calculator to see how far off your speedo will be

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
click me

this is what you want. as long as you stay same size diameter with tires you'll be fine but if you go with different sizes, use this calculator to see how far off your speedo will be
Totally understand that....BUT.....if you go with another diameter tire....what is the fix to correct the speedometer? If you get the 18" HFP rims at the dealer do they just use a tire that keeps it the same diameter as the 17" rim or do they make some sort of adjustment?

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
If you choose a tire that changes the overall diameter of the entire wheel/tire assembly there is no way to adjust the stock speedometer. You will be a slight percentage off and will need to adjust in your head.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
is the speedo only affected by diameter (eg. 17 to 18 inche wheels) or can the width of the wheel throw it off too?

·
Broke Baller
110,904 Posts
Totally understand that....BUT.....if you go with another diameter tire....what is the fix to correct the speedometer? If you get the 18" HFP rims at the dealer do they just use a tire that keeps it the same diameter as the 17" rim or do they make some sort of adjustment?
The main thing for plus sizing is making sure that the outside diameter of the rim and tire is as close to stock rim and tire as possible so that your speedometer wont be off.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
is the speedo only affected by diameter (eg. 17 to 18 inche wheels) or can the width of the wheel throw it off too?
the size of the wheel wouldn't necessarily throw off the speedo...the Outside Diameter of the tire/wheel combo is what effects the speedo..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts