Difficultly 3/10
Time needed 1.5 hours
***requires no cutting or drilling****:woowoo:
To do this, you will need wiretaps,

a phillips and flat head screwdriver,
a pair or needle nose pliers,
rubbing alcohol,
paper towel,
and 2 15 LED strips (i bought at walmart $14.99 each and they look awesome)
FIRST OFF-common sense, keep all screws bolts and plastic things that you remove in a safe place. This will help prevent any confusion and frustration in the reassembling process.
Step 1:
You will need to completely remove your door panel. Start with the door handle. Use your flat head to remove the cover. Now that its off, use your flat head to pop the plastic rivet out and use your phillips head to remove the screw to the left of the rivet.

Next you will need to remove the silver cover the other handle thing. Use your flat head screwdriver to pop the clips that hold it to the rest of the panel. Start with the bottom to prevent any scratching.

There is one screw tethered to the cover, use your phillips head to remove it.

Next you will need to remove the entire handle assembly. To do this, you will need place your flat head in between the panel and the plastic and gently pry it up. There shouldn't be much resistance.

Lastly there is two screws hidden under the handle and just above where the cubby begins. Unscrew them.
Use your flat head and start popping the rivets that hold the door panel to the metal of the door.
Remove the cover that is opposite the mirror. It should just pop off be hand.
Once the door panel is loose enough and all bolts and rivet are unfastened, just lift upward and the door panel is off. Just unclip the harness and your done with step one.

Step 2:
Take the wires from your LED strip and weave them in the cubby and out the back of the cubby. From the back of the panel, jam your flat head screwdriver in between the panel and the separate cubby part to create a temporary hole as to fish the wires out.

The area pictured is in the middle of the panel just to the left of the foam piece.

Now use your rubbing alcohol and paper towel to clean the inside of the cubby as to remove any dust and also clean your hands with it.
Remove the adhesive on the back of the LED strip and place it in the cubby where it is hidden from view and it can be mounted flush with the plastic. Make sure the wired end is towards the back.
Pull about 90% of the slack through the hole and begin to separate the positive and negative wires.
Now unclip the wiring harness that is in the center of the panel. Use the green wire which is for your power windows and wiretap it to your positive from the LED strip. Use your pliers to firmly secure the wiretap. Now cut any remaining wire from the positive.
Clip the harness back in place and then hook the harness back up to the car.

Use your car key and turn it to accessories so that your gauges light up and your radio works.
Take the negative wire and connect it to a ground. I used the screw that is halfway up the door and to the rear.

If you have light, the reassemble and your done. If the LEDs are not on, then check your wiretap connections.

Here is my video of the finished product.
YouTube - DYI LED CIVIC Finshed product.
Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. I hope this was helpful. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
/\
/\
/\
Nice

I saw this in the new insight prototypes.......looks good....

now go wash your car !!!!!

coming here, showing off your DIY with a dirty car.......:p

·
it just BLOWS my mind
2,529 Posts
hey

question...
how do u change youe insede lights...
the ones that go on when u open ur door???

I wanna add a different color in there...

·
it just BLOWS my mind
2,529 Posts
ceiling lights bro...
I been trying to figure that out lol
where do u get the stuff fot that???

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Lookin' good. Always wanted to add some in there but I thought removing the door panels was supposed to be a royal PITA. Perhaps I should revisit this!
Its really simple actually. I've been looking to do this for 3 months. I replaced the insert fabric the following day.

Please do it, I'm interested to see what it looks like in blue.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts