8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 4 door and was wondering if anybody has tried putting in a 168 LED bulb into the brake light and the 7443 LED into the other brake light with stock (OEM) brake light housing.

If so, how does it look? Is there any special wiring necessary or is it plug-and-play?

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I switched all my rear lights (brake lights, reverse, blinkers, ext.) to LEDS. Looks brighter on some (like reverse and blinkers) but the brake lights look similar. Advantage is that the bulb should never burn out. Just plug them in and they'll work (buy the right sizes though). And you'll need a resistor wired in to the blinkers or they'll blink really fast....

Superbrightleds.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have heard since the OEM uses reflectors inside the tail light to project the light throughout, and LED's project light forward, they aren't as bright or effective. Is this true? I love the LED look and fact they do last for ever, but don't want the performance to suffer. Do you have any pictures?

·
VIP Member
12,350 Posts
I have heard since the OEM uses reflectors inside the tail light to project the light throughout, and LED's project light forward, they aren't as bright or effective. Is this true? I love the LED look and fact they do last for ever, but don't want the performance to suffer. Do you have any pictures?
that's how my turned out to be. i even purchased the led's that project to the sides but that didn't even help. the OEM bulbs are much brighter than LED's when u hit the brakes.. when its just lit, they look the same though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So in your opinion, is it best (safest) to keep the OEM bulbs in?

It seems the 2009 tail lights are slightly different then 06-08. Does anybody make an LED kit for a 4 dr 2009 civic?

·
VIP Member
12,350 Posts
I personally switched back to OEM bulbs within a few days in fear of getting rear ended due to dimmer brake lights. I guess that means IMO, it's safer to stick with the OEM bulbs in the OEM taillight.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I think that truflip must have bought a different bulb from me. I bought the brightest one possible on the site I listed and it is just as bright as the stock lights. Seeing your brake lights from the side isn't necessary either, since the person you should care about seeing them is right behind you. But since it is not a big difference in light you should probably stay with the stock brake lights to save money. However, all the other lights are brighter and useful, especially the reverse lights. They almost look like headlights....

·
VIP Member
12,350 Posts
Perhaps. Mine are like these:

I threw em in a box somewhere, I can't remember the exact design but it's similar to above
The reason I wanted something that projects to the sides is so that the reflector could be utilized (further allowing more light to be seen).
I agree with the reverse lights, I hear high power LED's in there helps nicely since its just an on/off thing.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I wasted over $100 on LED taillight bulbs and took them all out within 3-4 weeks due to always being afraid they either weren't working and I wouldn't know cause I was using load resistors or getting rear ended cause they aren't at all bright enough. The taillight reflectors were designed for halogen bulbs and they really only work with halogen bulbs.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Perhaps. Mine are like these:

I threw em in a box somewhere, I can't remember the exact design but it's similar to above
The reason I wanted something that projects to the sides is so that the reflector could be utilized (further allowing more light to be seen).
I agree with the reverse lights, I hear high power LED's in there helps nicely since its just an on/off thing.
Mine don't look like that, the turn signals and brake ones are all pointing one direction and the claim to have 130 degrees and 180 degrees of visible light from the rear. They work well for me, but they were almost $40 a bulb for the brake lights. Replacing all the bulbs cost around $150 getting the brightest bulbs possible. If I were to do it again I'd replace all but the brakes because it did not make a very noticeable difference. But they all work great and are visible in the day or at night.

·
Registered
21,213 Posts
I wasted over $100 on LED taillights and took them all out within 3-4 weeks due to always being afraid they either weren't working and I wouldn't know cause I was using load resistors or getting rear ended cause they aren't at all bright enough. The taillight reflectors were designed for halogen bulbs and they really only work with halogen bulbs.
I meant just buy these:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts