8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

With my experience working on Hondas, and my co-op at Honda of America Mfg. for half a year, the Honda Civic Si was the natural upgrade from my 2000 Celica GTS.

However with some 2nd gear issues, and the fact that I'm moving to upstate NY this summer, where winters are a lot more harsh, I am possibly looking into getting a different vehicle. I have an appointment with Honda tomorrow to look at my 2nd gear. I think I can get them to replace it. I only have issues with it when it's cold, but when it's warm out, I have no issues what so ever since I switched to Amsoil mtf. So I just want to test the waters to see how much I could possibly get for my car right now. I will be looking around different dealers later this week.
Here are the specs:
Year: 2008
Model: 4-dr Si, FA5
Color: Galaxy Grey Metallic
Miles: 8,500
Extras: Mudguards, Ingalls Stiffy Torque Dampener(not installed), Amsoil mtf(past 5,000 miles), Mobil1 EP + M1 filter changed at 3,000 and 6,000 miles.
Notes: The Si badge on the rear is de-badged but I still have it, there’s a swirl about 5 inches in diameter on the windshield from someone keying it($200-280 to replace the windshield, if it bothers you enough). There are no scratches or dings on the body, and literally only 3 rocks chips. (Only 1 is noticeable if you look hard. I have experience with painting so they were all touched up smoothly and cleared)

·
Registered
376 Posts
i have never had a problem with my SI in the snow (also i have blizzaks) but from working a car dealership and having a chance to drive a wide range of cars i can honestly say NO car is perfect. I can live with second and third gear issues because deep down inside my heart i really do love my honda and i cant afford a m3 yet :)

Honestly has the car let you down in any other way to make you get rid of it? Im on a Second 8th gen already ... i dont not believe any car for the same money (new) could do was this one does.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have never had a problem with my SI in the snow (also i have blizzaks) but from working a car dealership and having a chance to drive a wide range of cars i can honestly say NO car is perfect. I can live with second and third gear issues because deep down inside my heart i really do love my honda and i cant afford a m3 yet :)

Honestly has the car let you down in any other way to make you get rid of it? Im on a Second 8th gen already ... i dont not believe any car for the same money (new) could do was this one does.
Yea...Im def going to invest in some nice snow tires next winter if I still have my FA5. Ill have a full time job by then so I can afford them. I know, it might not seem like it from this thread, but I am a true Honda fan. And I do love my Si. It's a very good looking car and there is nothing in its price range that can rival it. Plus no matter how fast other cars are, it's something about a 2.0L NA motor producing such power that really shows Honda's remarkable engineering. But I hate having to sit in the parking lot for more than 3 minutes to warm my car up, when others can just drive off after 1 or 2 minutes with no jerkiness or having to be delicate with their transmission.

My most likely upgrade would be a GTI w. dsg. I know it's more expensive but since I've seen some automatics rolling back at stop lights near the area where I will live.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
if you enjoy driving manual, you will get very tired of the dsg once winter ends. i like the gti's a lot, but would not trade my si in for one, because it would be such a linear move. not an downgrade, but not an upgrade either.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Yea...Im def going to invest in some nice snow tires next winter if I still have my FA5. Ill have a full time job by then so I can afford them. I know, it might not seem like it from this thread, but I am a true Honda fan. And I do love my Si. It's a very good looking car and there is nothing in its price range that can rival it. Plus no matter how fast other cars are, it's something about a 2.0L NA motor producing such power that really shows Honda's remarkable engineering. But I hate having to sit in the parking lot for more than 3 minutes to warm my car up, when others can just drive off after 1 or 2 minutes with no jerkiness or having to be delicate with their transmission.

My most likely upgrade would be a GTI w. dsg. I know it's more expensive but since I've seen some automatics rolling back at stop lights near the area where I will live.
if warming up is the problem, look into an engine block heater...

(i dont have an SI but i'm in chicago and it can get VERY cold up here sometimes, but my manual (again i know the transmission trouble doesnt apply to my non si but if it only comes up when the engine is cold, get the engine block heater) i personally dont have the engine block heater, but i find my car warming up within 2 miles of normal driving.. ( i shift at 4 once and it starts warming up quickly)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hey guys,

...and the fact that I'm moving to upstate NY this summer, where winters are a lot more harsh...
As a native of near Utica, and having lived in Cicero (just north of Syracuse) for a number of years.... what in the world are you thinking? Philly may not be the cat's meow, but I just don't get it.

Anyway, it may not be in the same price range, but my wife's '06 Mercedes C280 AWD is an absolute tank in the white stuff. I've cruised at 40 or so in 8 inches of fresh lake effect snow with no problem, just the occasional blink from the stability control saying "hey, the car can't actually do what you're asking... back off a bit...".

Previously, she had had a Lincoln Navimonster, which was far worse than you might think. Full time AWD actually wasn't... it actually was RWD until it sensed slip, then locked up the center diff. Problem was... by that time you were already sideways. OTOH, it did make sense for a while in that it was tall enough to let you look over the massive snowbanks.

Finally, I had an '01 VW Jetta 1.8T. I always drove that car with the traction control off - it had far too low an engagement threshold. For example, on a dry road, making a quick left turn from the center lane across traffic... it'd sense slip and cut the throttle, leaving me hanging there, blocking that oncoming traffic. I'd hope they have improved it, and bearing in mind that mine predated skid prevention programs, but it was untenable.

·
Registered
802 Posts
i have never had a problem with my SI in the snow (also i have blizzaks)
Ditto. Blizzaks make the car a tank in the snow. Only problem I had was when it randomly snowed in Oct. and I still had my Potenzas on.

·
Registered
169 Posts
if warming up is the problem, look into an engine block heater...

(i dont have an SI but i'm in chicago and it can get VERY cold up here sometimes, but my manual (again i know the transmission trouble doesnt apply to my non si but if it only comes up when the engine is cold, get the engine block heater) i personally dont have the engine block heater, but i find my car warming up within 2 miles of normal driving.. ( i shift at 4 once and it starts warming up quickly)

Block heater would not be much help for keeping the trannie fluid warm. My Si has been outside all night at temps as low as -25F and it has heat within 2 miles or so.
Plugging in the block heater about 90 minutes prior to starting it helps it start easier but the trannie is still stiff until I drive 5 miles or so.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
As a native of near Utica, and having lived in Cicero (just north of Syracuse) for a number of years.... what in the world are you thinking? Philly may not be the cat's meow, but I just don't get it.
.................car with the traction control off - it had far too low an engagement threshold. For example, on a dry road, making a quick left turn from the center lane across traffic... it'd sense slip and cut the throttle, leaving me hanging there, blocking that oncoming traffic. I'd hope they have improved it, and bearing in mind that mine predated skid prevention programs, but it was untenable.
Haha...yea man...I feel ya on that that. I was born and raised in Philadelphia for the past 22 years. I love it to death, even though it's getting alot rougher. I was literally 3 feet from getting hit by a stray bullet in Old City over Thanksgiving break, but you get used to it when you grow up there.(I admit that comment sounded pretty stupid if you are from rural areas) But I really enjoy and appreciate the diversity in Philly.
But I am moving to upstate NY because Im graduating this May and found a good job there. I figure I can suck it up for the first couple years of my life. I don't think I plan living there for the next 6-8 years.

no way :shady:
So you think I will get less or more?

hmm.....if youre leaving the honda family, you should sell me that torque dampner.
Haha....I see it's all about you huh? jk...Someone else just asked me for it incase I don't use it. I got it cheaper than most ppl on here because it was a best offer or buy now auction on ebay. Just submit a reasonable offer to the seller and he usually gets back to you by the next business day. Shipping is even included in the price you offer. Here's the seller's store, but he's out of stock right now so check back later.
eBay Store - JDM-IN-STOCK Store: SKUNK2 RACING, AEM, MISHIMOTO

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hey guys,

With my experience working on Hondas, and my co-op at Honda of America Mfg. for half a year, the Honda Civic Si was the natural upgrade from my 2000 Celica GTS.

However with some 2nd gear issues, and the fact that I'm moving to upstate NY this summer, where winters are a lot more harsh, I am possibly looking into getting a different vehicle. I have an appointment with Honda tomorrow to look at my 2nd gear. I think I can get them to replace it. I only have issues with it when it's cold, but when it's warm out, I have no issues what so ever since I switched to Amsoil mtf. So I just want to test the waters to see how much I could possibly get for my car right now. I will be looking around different dealers later this week.
Here are the specs:
Year: 2008
Model: 4-dr Si, FA5
Color: Galaxy Grey Metallic
Miles: 8,500
Extras: Mudguards, Ingalls Stiffy Torque Dampener(not installed), Amsoil mtf(past 5,000 miles), Mobil1 EP + M1 filter changed at 3,000 and 6,000 miles.
Notes: The Si badge on the rear is de-badged but I still have it, there’s a swirl about 5 inches in diameter on the windshield from someone keying it($200-280 to replace the windshield, if it bothers you enough). There are no scratches or dings on the body, and literally only 3 rocks chips. (Only 1 is noticeable if you look hard. I have experience with painting so they were all touched up smoothly and cleared)
Where are you moving? I grew up near Kingston, NY and was living up there when I bought my FA5 in 07. As long as you have good snowtires - I have Blizzaks - you'll be absolutely fine. Even up in the Adirondacks you'd be surprised how many people drive FWDs. I have just as much confidence driving my Si in the snow as I do driving my girl's Legacy GT.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where are you moving? I grew up near Kingston, NY and was living up there when I bought my FA5 in 07. As long as you have good snowtires - I have Blizzaks - you'll be absolutely fine. Even up in the Adirondacks you'd be surprised how many people drive FWDs. I have just as much confidence driving my Si in the snow as I do driving my girl's Legacy GT.
Well I'll be working in Owego. However I was looking for an apartment in Ithaca, Endicott, Endwell, or Vestal areas. Any suggestions/advice on deciding where to reside for a young graduate from the city? Yea Ill prob be investing in some snow tires next year.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well I'll be working in Owego. However I was looking for an apartment in Ithaca, Endicott, Endwell, or Vestal areas. Any suggestions/advice on deciding where to reside for a young graduate from the city? Yea Ill prob be investing in some snow tires next year.
Wow that's out there man. what will you be doing? I would recommend Ithaca, it's a nice place that's really going to be the closest to having any kind of cultured or urban appeal. I've been to Ithaca a few times (used to visit Cortland a lot) and have a friend who's lived there for four or five years and loves it. I would stay away from Binghamton - that place is really run down and the only entertainment you'll find is geared towards college students (drunk ones).

I cant speak for the other areas you're looking for, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Ithaca is at least a college town... prob better off there if you are relatively young...

I just came in to say Blizzak WS-60's makes the Si a friggin beast in the snow...

Outperformed a jeep cherokee limited 4wd that had (not new) A/S shoes on....

·
Registered
912 Posts
My grandparents own a couple apartments 5 miles to the south of ithaca off route 13. Other than that im not sure of places to stay in that area. And get nice snow tires

·
Registered
544 Posts
Guess what? I'm from Vestal, and I live there during the summers.

Keep your Si, it's fine in the winter, FWD with some Blizzaks is all you need.

Are you working over at Lockheed?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts